4 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:40 PM

Here is a 3D video of a whale shark feeding at the surface during a huge whale shark aggregation in Isla Mujeres, Mexico. I shot it on August 15, 2011, using a GoPro 3D HERO System and an Eye of Mine 3D flat lens housing (a flat lens is required for a GoPro to focus properly underwater).

The video is best viewed at 720p in some sort of 3D mode.

If you own a 3D display at home, you can download a higher-quality side-by-side version for local display (~99MB; link is good for 500 downloads; if it fails, please let me know). The downloadable video is still highly-compressed and doesn't quite convey the same 3D coolness that original version does, but it is still effective!

eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:26 PM

Looks great on my 3D monitor. You're exhibiting some good backwards-finning skills there by the look of it! I flooded one of my two gopros in the 3D housing in the Red Sea :-( might have to invest in a new one soon.
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#3 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:41 PM

Would not work too good through my Sony Bravia, I think it uses a different method to display 3D or something.
So I downloaded the side by side file and did the cross eyed thing, worked then :-)

Edit: just worked out the TV.
Play the side by side file and put the TV on Side by Side 3D Mode and bingo.
Looks good Eric.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#4 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:52 PM

The download and cross-eyed thing shouldn't work because it's L-R and not R-L. You do get a 3D effect, but it won't be the right one. :)

My Panasonic auto-detects side-by-side content and switches modes. Takes a few seconds, but seems to work well!
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#5 Guest_wilmaJ_*

Guest_wilmaJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

Wow! That's very nice video. Thanks for sharing.