Revamped website

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:00 AM

I just revamped my website, and would welcome any comments, suggestions, etc. you might have.

The biggest change was the addition of a full-screen slideshow when you first arrive at the site. Now I just need to go diving and take some new images! :)

BTW, the site is hosted on SmugMug, and was customized by Jerry Roek, who does great work at reasonable prices (I have no affiliation - just a satisfied customer).

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#2 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hey Bruce,

I also have a SmugMug site http://www.mikepowellphotography.com/ which was designed by Bonnie Pelnar @ http://www.underwate...urs.com/...what I learned was that SmugMug is difficult to customize.

I noticed on my 24" screen that your images on the full-screen slideshow were fuzzy...that's my only constructive criticism.

Great pics & do tell me your secret to selling pics....I haven't sold squat!

Cheers!

Mike
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#3 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:08 AM

...I noticed on my 24" screen that your images on the full-screen slideshow were fuzzy...that's my only constructive criticism.

Great pics & do tell me your secret to selling pics....I haven't sold squat!

Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. The images are only 72dpi, which makes them pretty sharp on most monitors, but I haven't tried one as large as yours. Sounds like the low resolution has its limits...

I don't sell a lot of images on the website, but occasionally someone buys one. I know virtually nothing about getting more visitors/potential buyers to come to the website, and haven't spent any time trying to learn (I've got a day job that keeps me busy!), so I'm NOT a good resource on how to use a website for marketing! :)

Bruce Yates
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

Very nice Bruce. There are some weird formatting and loading issues on some pages. I'm using Safari on a Mac; not sure if it's been tested that way
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:17 AM

Very nice Bruce. There are some weird formatting and loading issues on some pages. I'm using Safari on a Mac; not sure if it's been tested that way

I don't think it's Safari or Mac - it happens with other browsers as well. The copyright info flashes up on the screen until the slideshow starts on the home page. I'll see if Jerry can fix that. Thanks for the input!

Bruce Yates