Photo
- - - - -

Will Nauticam support NEX-5N or NEX-7 or both?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:42 AM

Thanks oskar, I didn't know Nauticam makes a port for the NEX 16mm F2.8 pancake! I guess this means the 16mm pancake with the Sony wide angle adapter won't work with the 4.33" fisheye port then :)

Unfortunately it seems so, it would be good if someone at Nauticam could comment on whether they plan to support this combination in the future, or what the options are.

#22 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:25 AM

What do these adapters do to the depth of field? If you add a fisheye adapter to a 16mm lens is the equivalent depth of field that of a 16mm fisheye lens?

MJvC,

1) the depth of field does not change if you add a fisheye lens and RETAIN THE ASPECT RATIO. It only gets bigger or smaller if you change the f-stop.

2) The depth of field will be bigger if you use a fisheye converter and RETAIN YOUR SUBJECT DISTANCE (but then all subjects will become smaller. If you want to have the same size as before, you must get closer, and then see 1).

Underwater the old rule "Best wide angle lens? - Three steps back!" cannot be applied: You normally will use a wide lens not to get "more landscape", but to get closer and thus have less water between lens and subject.

A 100mm lens and a 12mm lens have the same depth of field if you use the same f-stop and the same aspect ratio, but with the 12mm lens you are much closer.

Hope this helps.

@ Drew

Yes of course you are right. I was exaggerating a bit :-) If you ask people, most 8,12,16 or 24MB pics are viewed at their computer screen in a fraction of the 100% view - so a tiny compact camera would indeed be "good enough". My point behind this is that I doubt that the hunt for "THE" lens makes sense for the average amateur user. On the other hand, it is a hobby, and there is nothing like rational thinking involved...

Jock

Edited by Jock, 01 September 2011 - 01:26 AM.

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#23 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:57 AM

Jock is correct!

Here's a Depth of Field Calculator: http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Edited by A.Y., 01 September 2011 - 10:07 AM.

#24 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

Regarding using the 16mm pancake lens in the Nautican housing with the with the 4.33 inch dome port, I have used both the fisheye adapter and the wide angle adapter with equally good results. I have sent images with the wide adapter to Chris P. which he intends to post at some time showing the results.

Phil Rudin

#25 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:56 AM

Regarding using the 16mm pancake lens in the Nautican housing with the with the 4.33 inch dome port, I have used both the fisheye adapter and the wide angle adapter with equally good results. I have sent images with the wide adapter to Chris P. which he intends to post at some time showing the results.

Phil Rudin

Thanks Phil! Nauticam should update the product info for the 4.33 dome port then!

#26 Edward Lai

Edward Lai

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

Hi A.Y.,

Thank you for your comments. We are updating our port info to include the 16mm (without add-on lens), and 16mm with the wideangle conversion lens for use with our 4.33" dome port.

As to your original question. Yes, we will support the Nex-5N and Nex-7. Will be working full speed once we get the cameras.

Edward

#27 luca.scampini

luca.scampini

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:06 AM

... Sounds like we'll have an NEX-5N in house to check out tomorrow. ...

Cheers,
Cp

Any (good) news by Nauticam guys regarding NA-NEX5 compatibility with new Nex-5N camera?
Regards,
Luca

#28 Estelle Belin

Estelle Belin

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:12 AM

great ad

#29 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:35 AM

For those interested in results from the 16 mm pancake and the WIDE ANGLE adapter using the 4.33 inch dome port checkout this link.

http://www.nauticamusa.com/

Phil Rudin

#30 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

Hi A.Y.,

Thank you for your comments. We are updating our port info to include the 16mm (without add-on lens), and 16mm with the wideangle conversion lens for use with our 4.33" dome port.

As to your original question. Yes, we will support the Nex-5N and Nex-7. Will be working full speed once we get the cameras.

Edward

Way cool! In that case I'm getting a NEX-5N right away for :) !

great ad

Word of mouth is the best ad possible!

For those interested in results from the 16 mm pancake and the WIDE ANGLE adapter using the 4.33 inch dome port checkout this link.

http://www.nauticamusa.com/

Phil Rudin

Great shots, Phil! For filming (video) distance subjects like Giant Kelp Forest, which are beyond the reach of artificial lights, is there a way to use underwater filter for the 16mm/wide angle adapter/4.33" dome port setup or setting the Custom White Balance is the only option?

#31 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:00 PM

In reply to this thread, here is the official news so far from Nauticam

http://www.nauticam....etail.asp?id=52

Nauticam NEX-5N housing will be available in middle of October

Due to the high demand for Nauticam housings for the recently launched Sony NEX-5N camera, we are delighted to offer two alternatives to our valued customers. Those with an existing NA-NEX5 housing will be pleased to see an upgrade kit available to allow the use of the NEX-5N camera in your existing housing. Details of costing and installation will be announced at the end of September. Those without a housing will be able to purchase the new NA-NEX5N housing specifically designed for the Sony NEX-5N camera. Our engineers have been working overtime on this solution and we estimate shipping availablity in mid-October
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland