10 replies to this topic

#1 UMpg

UMpg

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Marine Science

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:54 AM

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help in narrowing down locations for an upcoming trip (2 weeks somewhere in Nov '12-Mar'13 range). I want to do Indonesia, but there are so many different places, it's all pretty confusing. I'm looking for advice on an area that has good variety- great coral, great reef life, great macro, some muck. Also would like a good house reef. If somebody could help me narrow down to a location, that would be awesome, and i'll look into resorts from there. Thanks!!

#2 Bent C

Bent C

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:57 AM

I have visited the area around north Sulawesi a couple of years in a row, and really like it. I will be going now in a couple of weeks again, to Bangka and Lembeh. There is also great wall diving at some of the places around Bunaken. And Lembeh would be really hard to beat for muck diving.

Resorts in the area are plentiful and varies from very simple and very, very cheap to quite expensive and luxurious.

Bali also seems to have great variety and a lot of nice lodging. Compared to the north Sulawesi area I believe that there will be more to do topside , and some dives not available in north Sulaweis (molls and mantas are not very common in the Lembeh/Bangka/Bunaken area). I guess it depends on what ones priorities are whether Bali or the north Sulawesi area would be the best. You probably will be happy with both. Im of to Bali next year btw!

Best regards

Bent C
Bent Christensen
Nauticam and Canon 7D
http://bentmedia.me

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10634 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

There's plenty of info in the archives. Do a search on Indo and you should have plenty of suggestions.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 UMpg

UMpg

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Marine Science

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

Thanks Bent, I appreciate it!

#5 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

Wakatobi!

#6 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:27 AM

For great diversity, hard and soft coral with great reef life and macro do a live-a-board that travels between Bali and Komodo. Just make sure the boat spends a day in horseshoe bay so you can enjoy the cannibal rock, it is on the top 10 dive site list.

Edited by eyu, 26 September 2011 - 05:23 AM.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#7 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:07 AM

It really depends on your budget. If you don't have much, I think Bali is the best option. It is relatively cheap (doesn't require domestic flights) and excellent diving. If you have more to spend, there are many options: Wakatobi, Sulawesi, Raja Ampat...

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#8 chavala

chavala

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

you can't beat Wakatobi. That house reef just blew my mind.

#9 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

I posted a separate Wakatobi writeup in this area. It should explain pretty clearly why it is the best land destination if you have the budget.

Tom

#10 gilles b

gilles b

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

Alor Divers: we have excellent house reef, may be not as good as Wakatobi, but still very good ( i never dive Wakatobi so cannot compare ). In November December you can even see sperm whale passing just in front of the resort. coral reef are very healthy , fish life is amazing and to make it perfect we have excellent muck dives. All at once in less than 30 min speed boat.

#11 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:47 PM

You could try Tulamben, Bali - variety of resorts at varying prices. Excllent dive sites and you can do day trips to various other locations around the island such as Amed, Seraya, PJs, Mola Molas at Lembongan etc.

Karl
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!