• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TNT

TNT

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:55 AM

I'm looking to upgrade my UW camera to Olympus PT-EP01 Underwater Housing and PEN E-PL1, but I don't want to spend out on a new strobe just yet. I currently use a fantasea nano fibre optic cable to connect a fuji remora to my current setup. I've done some investigation, but getting conflicting information. Could someone tell me if I can reuse this strobe and/ or cable with the PEN setup?

#2 jetlife2

jetlife2

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:09 PM

I'm looking to upgrade my UW camera to Olympus PT-EP01 Underwater Housing and PEN E-PL1, but I don't want to spend out on a new strobe just yet. I currently use a fantasea nano fibre optic cable to connect a fuji remora to my current setup. I've done some investigation, but getting conflicting information. Could someone tell me if I can reuse this strobe and/ or cable with the PEN setup?

I can't see why not. The Remora info states it can handle Oly preflash. The PT-EP01 can handle bare-end fiber optic cable with the provided bushing. So you should be good to go.

#3 solenostomus

solenostomus

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

I currently use a Fantasea Nano fibre optic cable to sync a Sea&Sea YS-01 with an E-PL2 in a PT-EP03 housing. My sync cable has the plug on both ends (rather than the velco thingy) which triggers the flash on the lowest possible flash power setting - 1/64.

Hope that helps.

#4 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1204 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

It will work fine. Turn your camera to manual at it's lowest power setting.

Jack
Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line -
Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories

Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean: Above & Below
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#5 smoore

smoore

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:56 AM

Fantasea Remora

If you set the camera to manual, then there will be no preflashes from the camera and the Remora should be set for 0 pre-flashes. I know the Phil Rudin has suggested setting the manual power setting on the EPL-1 to 1/4 power rather than the lowest power setting of 1/64th to ensure that there is enough light to fire the flash. I would try it at the lowest power and see if you get consistent firing of the Remora. As you are probably aware this is not a TTL flash so you will have to adjust the power of the flash or the shutter speed and aperature to get correct exposures.

Sea & Sea YS-01

For the Sea & Sea YS-01 if you are going to shoot in manual mode set the YS-01 to manual (no pre-flash) and the camera to the 1/4 power or lower setting (in manual mode the EPL-2 does not have any pre-flash). If you are going to use it as a TTL flash, then set the strobe to the TTL setting and the camera to the forced or fill flash setting. The TTL settings will work even if you have the camera in the manual exposure mode where you can set the aperature and shutter speed yourself.

Edited by smoore, 05 October 2011 - 04:57 AM.