• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 meister

meister

Manta Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 478 posts

Posted 11 January 2002 - 07:46 PM

Anyone have any experience with the new Ikelite DS-125 strobe?
Canon 5D, 5D MK III, Canon 15, 17-40 & 100mm
Aquatica, Ikelight
donhughes.us

#2 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 14 January 2002 - 07:17 PM

No, but I will soon. I'm going to get one for my trip in May. I do know a couple of people who use it for film cameras and they like it . . .

MikeO

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#3 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2296 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 07:46 PM

DS 125 I used these with the new slave sensor for the first time the other day. Worked great with my F100. Still waiting for a housing for my CP5000
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#4 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 30 January 2002 - 09:00 PM

Hi David!

I just saw your post on the UW-photo list about the Coolpix. I sent you an email.

Are you thinking about getting the Ikelite housing and using the DS125 strobe? I can't wait to take my Coolpix5000 underwater!!

Why would you use the DS125 strobe, as opposed to a "normal" ttl strobe? Would you use it w/ the slave sensor, or with the Snyc cord?

Cheers
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#5 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 03:56 PM

I'm pretty sure that the cp 5000 goes to using a pre-flash, when an external strobe is attached via hotshoe.

So, it would have to use one of the ds type strobes, to get flash auto exposure control.

Then again, if you use an optical slave, the camera won't know the external strobe exists, so won't do the pre-flash.

I imagine we'll be getting some info from ikelite on cp5000 issues soon. Or maybe it's already on their web site.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 04:34 PM

Hi Don,

Interesting thoughts about the Coolpix 5000.

I actually own this camera and I have used it with an external flash and a sync cord hooked up to the hot-shoe.

The camera does fire a preflash when it is hooked up to the external strobe. However, this preflash seems to have NOTHING to do with the exposure. If you cover the camera's internal flash with tape your shot comes out exactly the same.

Don't take my word for it though, here's "proof" by Peter iNova, writer of the coolpix Ebook:

http://www.dpreview....message=2089966

I called Nikon's Tech Support and they bumped me up to a "Level II" tech. I was worried that the preflash would set off additional slave strobes. He assured me that they would be releasing a "fix" for this soon and to keep checking their web-page.

In any case, the camera essentially functions like the Coolpix 99X series which take excellent pictures w/ a TTL strobe and sync cord.

Cheers
James

[Edited on 2-1-2002 by jamesw]
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#7 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 04:47 PM

That is good news.

But for now, since it does do the preflash, I think that means only the ike ds strobes will be compatible, since any other strobe will be set off by the pre-flash, and thus not be ready when the real flash hits.

I think..

;)
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#8 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 05:09 PM

I don't know Don. I wish I had some C batteries for my strobe...

I know from other dives that if my strobe is in TTL, other photographers don't set it off. If it's in T&S, now that's a different story...

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#9 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2296 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 07:51 PM

The pre flash doesn't affect exposure with an external strobe hooked up via the cameras hot flash (CP5000). You should be able to use any Nikon compatible strobe if you have a housing for this camera that utilizes the hot shoe. The flash sensor is located by the hand grip and I believe is used with external strobes to give an automated (not TTL) exposure. So to use a hard wired strobe with the camera the flash sensor must not be covered up by the housing or any accessory lenses. (I think). If it is you can always shoot the strobe with manual exposure. Note virtually all underwater strobes used with Nikonos or housed SLR systems are nikon compatible.

My Website

#10 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2296 posts

Posted 31 January 2002 - 07:57 PM

If the pre flash doesn't work with your strobe you can put tape over it. The Ikelite remote senors will work with any flash, TTL or not. Mine has been set off by the Sun. Go to CamerasBelow.com. The photo of the diver with his strobe going off is of me. I was an accidental photo an the photographer had to rescue the image from his trash can. He put it there when he first saw the image and thought that the flash of my strobe that he had set off by accident had ruined the image.

My Website