5 replies to this topic

#1 scuba e

scuba e

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:11 AM

_DSC0023.jpg
While going through pictures I saw these 3 guys around a neck crab. Yellow/red with clear tails. Maybe 3-4mm in length. I have cropped and lightened the pic.
We were in Roatan in August at about 60 fsw. Never seen them before but never looked for them either. Any ideas?

#2 Quinn

Quinn

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

Looks to be Black Coral Shrimp/Periclimenes antipathophius. Find them frequently in Grand Cayman as well. Sometimes the coral piece will be absolutely packed with them, all lined up facing the same direction.
Great spotting, these aren't the easiest to see.

#3 scuba e

scuba e

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

Looks to be Black Coral Shrimp/Periclimenes antipathophius. Find them frequently in Grand Cayman as well. Sometimes the coral piece will be absolutely packed with them, all lined up facing the same direction.
Great spotting, these aren't the easiest to see.

Thank you,
They are on the target list for next trip now. Thanks again.
Erik

#4 scuba e

scuba e

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:10 AM

I have searched some images of Black Coral shrimp and what comes up looks more like a wire coral shrimp. Not sure if descriptions vary from area to area. Any thoughts?

#5 Quinn

Quinn

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 10:28 AM

I have searched some images of Black Coral shrimp and what comes up looks more like a wire coral shrimp. Not sure if descriptions vary from area to area. Any thoughts?

What you have pictured is the one and the same I see about the waters of Grand Cayman. If you have access to the Humnann/Deloach 2nd edition Reef Creature book, they are featured on page 181.
Hoping the upcoming companion DVD will offer some other views, as with all the tiny critters, it's sometimes difficult to match from one photo alone.

#6 scuba e

scuba e

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:18 AM

What you have pictured is the one and the same I see about the waters of Grand Cayman. If you have access to the Humnann/Deloach 2nd edition Reef Creature book, they are featured on page 181.
Hoping the upcoming companion DVD will offer some other views, as with all the tiny critters, it's sometimes difficult to match from one photo alone.

thanks again. i do need to get that book.