#1 pxguru

pxguru

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Diving, Classic Electronic Music

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

Hi all,

I've been shooting macro for several years and recently moved towards supermacro thanks to the addition of Subsee +5 and +10 D to my expanding gear list. I had a brief look through a test rig in a store, which incorporated an Inon 45 degree viewfinder and was pretty impressed with the image (compared to the view I have through my Nexus pick up lens/Nikon D300 viewfinder).

So, questions for those of you who have tried and used/rejected the viewfinder route:

1. What are the primary advantages/benefits of using the viewfinder in your actual experience ?
2. Anyone tried both straight and 45 degree viewfinders ? Is it just a matter of preference or do shooting styles/ergonomics etc come into play. I mean, how many of us regularly have to twist, contort or invert ourselves to get a decent shot, with an uncluttered background of a critter that is less than co-operative ???

Appreciate your thoughts,
Thanks
Steve
Nikon D300, Nexus Housing, 2x DS-125 Strobes
Nikon lenses: 105mm VR, 60mm, 50mm, 10.5mm Tokina lenses 10-17mm and 12-24mm

#2 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2053 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:01 AM

The nice, big, sharp image from a viewfinder is a boon. 45-degree finders are wonderful for shooting wide-angle images, but I find mine a bit awkward for macrophotography because it's hard to find the subject. I tend to aim the camera several inches above the proper location. Once the subject is in-frame, then it's fine.

Tim

:)

#3 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:53 AM

The nice, big, sharp image from a viewfinder is a boon.

Absolutely!

45-degree finders are wonderful for shooting wide-angle images, but I find mine a bit awkward for macrophotography because it's hard to find the subject. I tend to aim the camera several inches above the proper location. Once the subject is in-frame, then it's fine.

I use my S45 for both w/a and macro and find it brilliant for macro photography although subject matter can be a trifle trickier to find at times. The low angle allowed by the S45 is really useful too. I would not be without mine.

So I'd highly recommend a 45-degree finder - be aware that it might take a fair few dives to get used to but once you have adjusted you won't look back.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#4 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hi,
I use the S45 viewfinder & it is brilliant I use it for all my photography, as Tim & Paul have mentioned once you have
mastered the angle their is no going back. I can remember being told before I bought my viewfinder, don't look through
it as you will want one & yes Paul you were right. But I will say it is amazing bit of kit.

Andy :)

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms