#1 Snappy

Snappy

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 01:07 AM

Hi,

I have an Ikelite 100A, using it on Manual with a Canon 5D MKII, and consider purchasing a Ikelite - 3944.52 Substrobe DS-51 Package as a second light. I'd be happy if anyone could confirm I could combine these two lights - shooting manually all the way presumably.

Second question: will the DS-51 be sufficient by itself as fill light with wide angle in pictures like these examples (taken with the old 100A) : http://archive.felix...0000JpjLzJxfVcQ http://archive.felix...00000DNnXVrhGV0 http://archive.felix...0000hnTScgvhih8 ?

It seems like a handy size flash for travelling, and I think perhaps in tropical waters at depths shallower than 20m I might not need more for the kind of pictures I am looking to do.

One option perhpas would be to buy two of these and loose the old 100A altogether?? For weight it seems I'd get two new flashes for the wheight of one old (the 100A is 3.5 pounds ~ 1.6 kg and the DS-51 is 1.3 lbs ~ 0.59 kg) . Pluss TTL

Any thoughts? Thanks.
website
Norwegian snapper who prefers warm waters.

#2 leepix

leepix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Ships, boats and diving

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:22 AM

Hi,

I have an Ikelite 100A, using it on Manual with a Canon 5D MKII, and consider purchasing a Ikelite - 3944.52 Substrobe DS-51 Package as a second light. I'd be happy if anyone could confirm I could combine these two lights - shooting manually all the way presumably.
Second question: will the DS-51 be sufficient by itself as fill light with wide angle in pictures like these examples (taken with the old 100A):
One option perhaps would be to buy two of these and loose the old 100A altogether?? For weight it seems I'd get two new flashes for the wheight of one old (the 100A is 3.5 pounds ~ 1.6 kg and the DS-51 is 1.3 lbs ~ 0.59 kg) . Pluss TTL

Any thoughts? Thanks.

The DS-51 will barely cover 24mm EFL u/w and adjustment may be iffy presuming you use a dual sync cord? Remember it is a one rectangular tube flash. Higher Ike model numbers get you the circular tube flash tubes which can cover WA.

IF you really want to do CFWA or just WA shooting, you should compare cost of single DS-125/160 to two DS-51s. And of course their weight.

Depends on what kind of shooting you're doing too?

#3 Snappy

Snappy

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 01:25 AM

The DS-51 will barely cover 24mm EFL u/w and adjustment may be iffy presuming you use a dual sync cord? Remember it is a one rectangular tube flash. Higher Ike model numbers get you the circular tube flash tubes which can cover WA.

IF you really want to do CFWA or just WA shooting, you should compare cost of single DS-125/160 to two DS-51s. And of course their weight.

Depends on what kind of shooting you're doing too?

I am thinking along the lines of the examples in my first post, ie. wide angle with a dash of light onto something in the foreground. I have rarely shot things where I have felt I have needed to fill the entire fram with light. (Sadly no whale sharks so far for me :) ) I'm using a 15mm (so it 's full frame) with 8" dome. Though again with the travel/size aspect I am considering to try the 6"
website
Norwegian snapper who prefers warm waters.

#4 leepix

leepix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Ships, boats and diving

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

I am thinking along the lines of the examples in my first post, ie. wide angle with a dash of light onto something in the foreground. I have rarely shot things where I have felt I have needed to fill the entire fram with light. (Sadly no whale sharks so far for me :D ) I'm using a 15mm (so it 's full frame) with 8" dome. Though again with the travel/size aspect I am considering to try the 6"

Sounds like you want to setup a classic master/slave strobe arrangement. In which case I would use the SS-110A and DS-51 IF the can be sync'd. That question means going to Ikelite for best route. Dual sync cords and straight manual may be what they tell you.