Photo
- - - - -

What shade of red lens is needed for shallow diving?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bigwake

bigwake

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 08:45 PM

Hi, I recently got into snorkeling where I live in South Florida. I use a GoPro HD camera with a home made flat lens (58mm glass camera filter) to correct the blurriness of the curved lens. I like the quality and I can mess with the colors on my computer after the fact but I read about red lenses helping underwater pictures and videos. I tried google searching to find out what shade of red is needed (if there's a color code or specific name etc) but I kept finding posts about Magic Filters and UR/PRO and while I'm sure those would be nice, they are expensive. The whole reason why I did the DIY housing mod is because I got better results out of my $8 setup than the $80 'eye of mine' or any other flat lens housing. I'd really like to find a red lens that isn't more than $15 so my videos would look better because I don't think I can add red to them to enhance the color. I'm snorkeling in depths of about 15 feet to 30 feet and I can tell a big difference between the stock photo and when I've added red. I'll attach an edited pic from today to show. The water is the Atlantic so it's kind of green and blue. I did find a filter called a cc30r and I saw online that people used it underwater so that's what I was looking at but I'm having a hard time finding one in 58mm that isn't very expensive. I plan on taking the glass out of the filter and laying it on top of my UV filter and then securing them with the retainer ring. Sorry for the long winded write up, but basically I want to know if I really need a specific color red or if any red filter (described as for 'black and white' film)on amazon.com would work. Here's a youtube video of a gopro with a flat red lens (sorry it's like an ad for the product) which gives the video color I'm looking for:

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Attached Images

• 323669_2125359172016_1187006331_32046917_521012840_o.jpg

#2 bigwake

bigwake

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

After doing some more reading on this site by google searching, I'm still not sure what type of filter to get. I read posts from 2003 on here about using FL-D, FL-B, CCxM, and CCxR. It seemed like people were saying the FL-D is best for shallow water and available light (I'm assuming that means no strobes or extra lighting equipment). Any ideas?

#3 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 11:36 PM

It is depth dependant but try a Wratten #85 (112 Mired)

Here's a chart of them http://www.kvglabs.com/page153.html

#4 bigwake

bigwake

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:59 AM

It is depth dependant but try a Wratten #85 (112 Mired)

Here's a chart of them http://www.kvglabs.com/page153.html

Thanks for the info, I'll look in to the #85. If I can't find one in the size I need, what about an FL-D (like magenta but warmer) or FL-B (appears amber in picture) for depths maxing at 35 feet? I'm usually around 20 plus or minus, but sometimes go to just over 30 feet. I'm pretty sure the Atlantic water is considered green as all my pics appear green on the computer. I've read that FL filters correct green cast. Thanks

#5 bigwake

bigwake

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:34 AM

Hi, I'm new and I'm looking for a filter to use underwater at depths of about 12-30 feet in Atlantic waters. The stock photos always appear slightly green (not too bad) all around. I posted this in the beginner forum but I'm expanding my thread to an area where more people might be able to help me. Here it is: http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=43096 I'll include 2 stock photos here (blurry due to hand movement). The first photo will appear more blue and the second will appear more green. Both are stock but I was in different positions so the sunlight hit it different in each. So far after reading some posts on here, I'm thinking either an FL-D (more magenta but warmer) or an FL-B (more orange looking). Thanks for any help.

Attached Images

• 339948_2127052654352_1187006331_32048499_1652062511_o.jpg

#6 bigwake

bigwake

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:37 AM

Second picture

Attached Images

• 323160_2127056574450_1187006331_32048500_1823228474_o.jpg

#7 resappraiser

resappraiser

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

Second picture

Contact Reef Photo or Ocean Optical Sales. What you are looking for is a product called "Magic Filter". Do a search on this forum, tons of info on this product.

Bob

Topics merged: Admin.

#8 bigwake

bigwake

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

Contact Reef Photo or Ocean Optical Sales. What you are looking for is a product called "Magic Filter". Do a search on this forum, tons of info on this product.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I read about magic filters and I have a GoPro so the housing lens cover is curved so a gel filter won't work. Also, I'm looking to spend under $10 and the magic's I found were $60+ I think. I really just want to know what shade of red is used for 30 feet of diving in grenish/blue water because I can go with different manufacturers and find the best price and fit for my camera.

#9 resappraiser

resappraiser

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Bob. I read about magic filters and I have a GoPro so the housing lens cover is curved so a gel filter won't work. Also, I'm looking to spend under $10 and the magic's I found were $60+ I think. I really just want to know what shade of red is used for 30 feet of diving in grenish/blue water because I can go with different manufacturers and find the best price and fit for my camera.

OK, I understand. Where are you diving in the Atlantic, just out of curiosity. I dive off the North Carolina coast and the viz is not as good as yours in the photos.

Bob

#10 bigwake

bigwake

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:02 PM

OK, I understand. Where are you diving in the Atlantic, just out of curiosity. I dive off the North Carolina coast and the viz is not as good as yours in the photos.

Bob

I'm snorkeling off Fort Lauderdale, FL and the 2 stock pics show a day of good visibility and sunlight. I just ordered an FL-D filter after reading that an FL-B would be better for deeper depths of 30-60 feet and that an FL-D would be better for shallower water and greener water. The filter looks like it's more magenta/light pink in the picture instead of the more red color I see most filters are. The hard part is that the video I originally added to my first post doesn't say what depth they're at so I don't know if a really dark red filter would help me or not. My filter was only $6 so if it doesn't work I guess I could revisit and try a shade more red. I was reading threads from back in 2003 on this site and there were these 2 guys (Craig and Alex) and they were talking all about filters but I couldn't get a definite confidence of understanding when I was done reading it because I'm not sure how shallow they meant when they say shallow. Shallow for a tank diver might be 50-60 feet? All I know is for my snorkeling I go down about 30 feet max to snap a pic or video of a fish. They were talking about FL-D was better for shallow than FL-B, which are stronger. Then they were talking about CCxR filters and saying how the number in-between (10,20,30,40) would do better and whatever depth they are rated for and I couldn't find out which one would be good for my needs. They also mentioned something about the CCxM (magenta) were better for shallower water so I'm hoping since my FL-D filter looks magenta that it'll work and they also mentioned FL-Ds are like magentas but warmer. Do you have any thoughts on what will most likely turn out? It'll be here in 2 days and I'll test it as soon as possible and update the thread but until then I would like to hear people's opinions on what I should expect because I'm sure people know whether my filter choice is 'ok', 'good', or 'horrible' :) . Thanks for the help, Bob.

Edited by bigwake, 11 September 2011 - 04:55 PM.

#11 bigwake

bigwake

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

In case anyone else reads this and wants to know which filter they might need, the FL-D did nothing. I returned it and bought a Tiffen FLB filter on Amazon for $12 to use with my GoPro, which is an action sports camera. Here's an unmodified picture taken with my flat lens setup and FLB filter at about 20 feet deep in South Florida's Atlantic coast.

Attached Images

• 333920_2170682865080_1187006331_32080023_419984463_o.jpg

#12 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:29 PM

Yes,good job, that's better, not only because of the filter but because you are much closer to the subject.
It's worth remembering that water absorbs red light not only in its path from the surface to your shooting depth but also between your lens and the subject - It's a double whammy.

I still think the 85 (same as 85A) or the slightly milder 85B would be closer to what you need but it has to be said that your FLB is close enough to need only minor correction of the magenta channel. Without a local underwater light source you are always going to need some correction anyway.

Edited by Balrog, 25 September 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#13 bigwake

bigwake

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:29 AM

Yes,good job, that's better, not only because of the filter but because you are much closer to the subject.
It's worth remembering that water absorbs red light not only in its path from the surface to your shooting depth but also between your lens and the subject - It's a double whammy.

I still think the 85 (same as 85A) or the slightly milder 85B would be closer to what you need but it has to be said that your FLB is close enough to need only minor correction of the magenta channel. Without a local underwater light source you are always going to need some correction anyway.

Thanks, the main reason why I went with the FLB instead of the 85 is because I was able to find the FLB for cheap on Amazon. Also, I do have to get closer to my subjects because the GoPro's wide angle lens makes everything seem so far away. I'm going to post some pics of what the setup looks like in case anyone else wants to do this with a GoPro.

#14 bigwake

bigwake

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:39 AM

Here's with and without the red filter, as well as my version having the glass stay inside the filter ring instead of stacking the ring on top of the glass.

Attached Images

• Library___4940.jpg
  • Library___4938.jpg
  • Library___4939.jpg