Photo
- - - - -

Sonoma coast abalone fishery closure !!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

I'm just passing this on. At first I wasn't even sure what I was looking at. Then I was shocked, still am.

Today in Redding ca was the commission meeting addresing the latest abalone die off and up comming regulation changes. Which were 8am start time, 2 month early closure of Fort Ross and possible yearly bag limit reduction. DFG today said abalone mortality at Fort Ross was at least 30%, and as low as 12% in other places. The commission just voted to immediately close the sonoma coast fishery and table the other option's to a later date to be decided and discussed at the next meeting in Monteray.

Regards,
Matt Mattison
and The NorCal Underwater Hunters Team.

Attached Images

• abalone_mortality_nate_buck_1.jpg
  • abalone_mortality_nate_buck_2.jpg
  • abalone_mortality_nate_buck_3.jpg

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#2 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:03 PM

Do they know why is this happening?
Pollution? Water temperature? Acidity?

It looks terrible.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#3 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:51 PM

sonoma - they are all trying to get some great red wine.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:08 PM

I have heard little about the cause. In the 80's we used to catch abs all the time and they were the first to disappear at dinner. Haven't speared or taken an ab since 88 and haven't even seen one in the San Diego waters in many years. I wasn't aware that they could discard their shells either. Whatever is causing this, or whomever, I hope they get the chair.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.