• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MPC

MPC

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

So we head to La Paz in less than 3 weeks. I have never been. We are going to dive with the baby sea lions. Not sure how many dives.
I have a new D90 set-up in and Nauticam housing with dual SB-105 strobes. For wide angle I will be using the 12-24mm.
I have not shot in shallow water in a fast environment like this probably since sting ray city in 2006. But what I am looking for is any tips on settings on camera or strobes on or off, or maybe 1/4 power for fill light. I normally shoot in manual, but I think in Cayman I shoot in shutter priorty for the sting rays.

Any insight would be great! I just don't want to come back with backscatter or missed shots!!

Thanks

#2 Marcellus

Marcellus

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:30 AM

Really interesting. But right now i am not in a position that i can develop my understanding because i have't face such types of the situation in my life before this time.

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:42 AM

The pups will be getting quite old by now - so not as frantic as they were a few months ago.

The best thing is not to track the pups around trying to take every shot imaginable, but to work one angle at a time. Get an idea for a shot, set up the camera and strobes for that shot and then work it for 5-10 minutes. Then change to another shot.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#4 diverdoug1

diverdoug1

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, Cave diving, Trimix, Spearfishing, Saltwater fishing, Freshwater fishing, Skiing

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:17 PM

I usually don't shoot baby Sea Lions, I like to use a club :)
JUST KIDDING

If you are really shallow, be sure to try some shots with your strobes off. The pups tend to make the shallow water quite frothy with lots of tiny bubble to cause backscatter.

Edited by diverdoug1, 26 April 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#5 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2291 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

I like to shoot them shutter priority. As fast as you can synch. It does seem that the strobe helps the exposure, even though they are shallow.

Watch out for the head bull. They mark a line and you don't want to cross it.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website