• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 martysnyderman

martysnyderman

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:26 PM

I just returned from being a judge at a photo event named Manta Fest in Yap (Micronesia). Other judges were Tim Rock, Ray Bullion and Frank Schneider. Much fun was had by all which means somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 to 40 attendees. My third trip to Yap. I love it. It is the most traditional of the major Micronesian Islands and the people are terrific. Same goes for the diving. Manta Fest certainly lived up to its name- lots and lots of mantas. Other good dives include a shark dive with gray reefs and blacktip reef sharks, a mandarinfish dive and some great walls that plummet to nowhere.

Dates for next year's Manta Fest have been set for late August and early September- two weeks. Hope to see you there!

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3040 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:35 PM

Thanks Marty! Is there a link where we can check out the winning images? I'd love to see what a group like that could do.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Hollywoodivers Imaging

Hollywoodivers Imaging

Triggerfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:51 PM

Ahhh Manta Ray Bay, what an excellent place, and truly amazing diving. The best thing is how they are so known for Mantas, yet its the reef diving that truly shocked my on a trip there. Very enjoyable, shark dive was great too!
Bill Strong
Hollywoodivers Imaging
(866) 400-1919
www.hollywoodiversimaging.com
www.gatesunderwaterhousings.com
www.nauticamunderwaterhousings.com
A division of Hollywood Divers-Los Angeles, CA

#4 Frank Schneider

Frank Schneider

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

Hi Steve,
I'm Frank - one of the judges Marty did mention above.
I don't know (actually I don't think) that one can post images here. But you can have a look at the winner's photos clicking going that link:
http://www.mantaray.com/blog/
Regards,
Frank

www.sharkinthepool.com

#5 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3040 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:13 PM

Thanks Frank! So how do I meet Judy Bennet, the lady won two years in a row?! Some wonderful images.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#6 Frank Schneider

Frank Schneider

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:40 AM

Hi Steve,

I guess you could meet her - like many of us - on facebook.

Greetings,
Frank

http://www.schneider...ome.php?lang=EN

Thanks Frank! So how do I meet Judy Bennet, the lady won two years in a row?! Some wonderful images.

Cheers,
Steve

#7 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3040 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:48 AM

Thanks Frank,
Good to see you here on Wetpixel. Your website is a great example of how it should be done.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

#8 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

Never been there, oh but one of these days. Many of the images were just gorgeous. Hope you had a great time Marty.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.