• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

Surely the hotshoe argument is history? I use a d-slr on manual strobe settings and low power to trigger optical strobes and it fires just as often as I like.

Tim

:)

I agree. iTTL is nice for most macro shots, but M for W/A is generally the best. Not having a built in flash would present a problem.
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#22 MauiDiveGuide

MauiDiveGuide

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

I agree. iTTL is nice for most macro shots, but M for W/A is generally the best. Not having a built in flash would present a problem.
Bob

Am I reading things correctly here that it is assumed that I'm going for iTTL just because I want a hard wired strobe? nope, no way... all manual. Simply... optical strobes are not an option in my application or according to my preference. Lots of experience with both and optical just doesn't cut it for me for a variety of reasons, none of which include my ability or skill at using manual strobe or camera settings.

@derway: if panasonic has hotshoe, why doesn't anyone make a housing with a strobe port/hotshoe adapter?

#23 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:42 PM

I am with you, regarding a very strong preference for wired vs optical. Though I haven't played much with fiber optic cable.

As for panasonic, well, alas, Ikelite has pulled out of the mirrorless market. And they are the main ones who do hard wired adapters, including for the panasonic lx5, oly xz1, and nikon p7100.

But no EVIL cameras.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave