Invasion of the Hammerheads

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

I just returned from a wonderful trip to the Galapagos Islands. You can jump right to my PHOTO GALLERY if you want, or you can read about the trip on my BLOG.

Water was particularly cold for our visit, with temps in the mid-50's on many of our dives in the southern islands. That is similar to summer temps here in Puget Sound! In fact, most of us wished we had brought our dry suits or thicker (e.g., 7mm, perhaps with two layers!) wetsuits! The good news is that cooler water temps seem to bring big sea creatures closer to the surface, so we saw tons of amazing stuff. Only one whale shark (at Wolf Island), but hammerhead sharks were plentiful on almost every dive, and surprisingly shallow - even at depths of 30-40 feet! Here, about twenty of them came rushing through our group while we were watching spotted eagle rays glide past:
Posted Image

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#2 pdemaagt

pdemaagt

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:58 AM

great picture that you selected to show on your post!