Photo
- - - - -

Best options for optical remote slave triggers?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:47 AM

Currently I'm using fibre optic cable fired remote strobe systems for wide angle photography, but for some shots the time taken to lay the cable is a problem, on others hiding the cable is an issue. I'm wondering if there are any remote slave triggers that use fibre optic cable instead of Nikonos cords etc?
Red Sea Dreaming....

Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 100mm macro, Kenko 1.4x Teleconverter, Nauticam housing when it arrives, 2x Inon Z240 strobes, Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack.

#2 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 07:11 AM

It would be nice to have a remote trigger like the one reviewed by Adam Hanlon here, but with optical connection.
It will need batteries, this will make it bigger but it will be completely sealed, that gives the opportunity to plug and unplug the unit underwater.
The other good thing with optical cables is that you can use different cables, one short and one long for example, in the same dive.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#3 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:25 AM

I use Nikonos cables on mine, and it would be great to have cables with wet connectors so I could change them on camera to off camera during a dive. I have a friend who is considering making up a mirror arrangement to the existing optical sensor on the inons to increase the sensitivity and improve the direction of the sensor:strobe angle - this might work for you?

#4 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:08 AM

It would work in some situations, but not in others where the strobes are hidden - please keep me updated on progress. I'm looking for some really thin fibre optic cable at the moment that might take away some of the problems of hiding the cables like I currently run.

Edited by RedSeaDiver, 09 October 2011 - 12:09 AM.

Red Sea Dreaming....

Canon 7D, Tokina 10-17, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Canon 100mm macro, Kenko 1.4x Teleconverter, Nauticam housing when it arrives, 2x Inon Z240 strobes, Lowepro Vertex 300 AW backpack.

#5 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:24 AM

The INON D-2000 and Z-240 strobes have rather sensible sensors and are able to work without cable for distances between 0 and 30 ft,
depending on the viz you will encounter. The only complication is that the sensor has to be orientated to the camera, what limit the angle a bit.
I was able to trigger a Fantasea Nano strobe from about 15 ft with my Z-240 in 90ft of viz and i guess that the INON will trigger from more far.
Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 09 October 2011 - 01:26 AM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#6 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:26 AM

The INON D-2000 and Z-240 strobes have rather sensible sensors and are able to work without cable for distances between 0 and 30 ft, depending on the viz you will encounter. The only complication is that the sensor has to be orientated to the camera, what limit the angle a bit.
I was able to trigger a Fantasea Nano strobe from about 15 ft with my Z-240 in 90ft of viz and i guess that the INON will trigger from more far.
Chris

Unfortunately it's a bit hit & miss when relying on the Inon's sensor, which might be ok if you are doing a shallow dive and have loads of time to make small adjustments to strobe orientations, but when you are on a tech dive on a wreck there simply isn't time to be faffing about with stuff like that. My current system of laying out fibre optic cable at depth is a pain in the butt but it is reliable. Hopefully an optical remote slave trigger will become available that is on a cable like the Triggerfishes are.

Edited by RedSeaDiver, 10 October 2011 - 03:28 AM.

Red Sea Dreaming....

#7 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:27 AM

Hopefully an optical remote slave trigger will become available that is on a cable like the Triggerfishes are.

One big problem is that the" triggerfish" should have a separate power supply ^_^

#8 RedSeaDiver

RedSeaDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

One big problem is that the" triggerfish" should have a separate power supply ^_^

How much power is actually required though?

My main reason for wanting to go optical with these is to eliminate any potential floods through cable connections etc - I don't know what it is like these days but 20 years ago it was a problem that I could do without.
Red Sea Dreaming....

#9 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:07 AM

Have you considered trying the triggerfish? I've yet (knock on wood) to flood anything with a remote sensor attached to it, and the reliability of them is excellent when compared to the older, home-made sensors that I'm also using. If the sensor can see the on-camera strobe, they go off every time underground.

I'm surprised you've got enough time on a dive to mess around with cables through your shots...for my cave stuff I'd have to work pretty hard to convince my modelling buddies to introduce a new entanglement hazard into their dive.

#10 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:04 AM

What strobes are you using?

We've used DS125 + Ike Manual controllers with great success in caves, though in open water without the light bounce off the walls things become a bit tricker.

I've tried remote z240's in caves, triggered off the built in sensor though as mentioned this is a bit tricky. Direction of the strobe sensor and distance all get you.

The triggerfish looks very nice if I didn't have DS125s.
Damien Siviero
Canon 5DmkIII + 7D. Aquatica Housing. Ikelite + Inon Strobes. Canon + Tokina Glass.
http://damiensiviero.com