Photo
- - - - -

Is a photographer only as good as the equiment that he/she uses?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:07 AM

So why did you go back to the D200 John? I think they are more than adequate for most tropical underwater photography, so I've been keeping one of mine as a backup. Would it be a mistake to sell, do you think?

...because I get excellent results, I have two, and, quite frankly, why flood or simply wear out a more expensive camera? Did you see my uncredited pictures (A1 size) all around the NEC Dive Show (in the VIP lounge, the organiser's office, the photo lecture zone and some very big ones outside)? Nearly every one was taken with a D200. I challenge anyone to spot those few taken with an FX camera.

Another reason to hold on to your D200 is that the Nikon factory in Thailand is out of action for the foreseeable future and you may not be able to get a DX DSLR replacement to go with the lenses you have.

Edited by John Bantin, 30 October 2011 - 07:15 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?