GREENFORCE FIII batteries problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mgokalp

mgokalp

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:phootgraphy and videography<br />sponges, mediterranean marinelife

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:41 AM

I had this wierd event with my EX1 Gates housing & Greenforce new FIII batteries last month during our new documentary shootings.

After the dive, I left the housing in a shady area to dry a bit, rinsed off its fresh water on it. While eating my lunch i heard a heavy explosion sound and a lady running away.
I was thinking please not the housing, but yes there it was one of the batteries exploded spilling the battery fluid outside breaking the outer part of the battery. luckily nobody get hurt or it didnt explode while I was working on it.

Checking it the night before, there was no signs of water getting in, broken part or corrosive elements.

We send the battery and the light to greenforce for an investigation, there is no word yet but hopefully soon i will get my batteries and continue soon.

cheers,
Mert gokalp
Marine Biotechnologist
UW Photographer & Videographer
http://www.wetbluediary.com

Edited by mgokalp, 03 October 2011 - 12:43 AM.

MERT GOKALP

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

Well Mert, you were lucky it didn't leak when you were underwater!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

That's pretty scary!

was it a really hot day?

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#4 mgokalp

mgokalp

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:phootgraphy and videography<br />sponges, mediterranean marinelife

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:50 AM

It was actually, more than 30 degrees celcius, but shouldnt be a problem dont you think?

That's pretty scary!

was it a really hot day?

MERT GOKALP

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:23 AM

Well polyacetals have high heat resistance. I assume that's what the Greenforce battery pack is made of. In all likelihood, there was a leak in the wiring that led to the batteries reacting to salt water. Modern battery packs are sealed inside their wrap for double protection... or at least they should be. If this were a lithium battery, it would've been more fireworks! :D

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

Scary stuff, though at least you didn't burn down a hotel room or 4x4 like some others.
Damien Siviero
Canon 5DmkIII + 7D. Aquatica Housing. Ikelite + Inon Strobes. Canon + Tokina Glass.
http://damiensiviero.com