3 replies to this topic

#1 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:55 AM

Since my eyes are over 40 years old, (way over 40!) I found it hard to determine sharp focus when shooting video in a housing while underwater, so I came up with a magnified viewer. This setup will also work for still images when using the live view mode.

Posted Image Posted Image

It is easy to see how the diopter can help one tell if their video is being recorded while in focus.

This setup requires a camera that has a live view mode, where someone can view an image on the back LCD screen before taking an image.

Parts needed are:
1. a pvc coupling from a local hardware store. In my case, I used a 3 inch straight coupling.
2. some 10 inch mini bungee cords
3. two tie wraps
4. a "Woody" diopter aka Nexus 100mm push on diopter for Nexus housing ports.

After measuring where the buttons and eyepiece intersected with the pvc, cutouts were made so I could access needed buttons and keep from pushing buttons that I did not want to push.
The bungee cords are connected at the bottom and top of the pvc by using common wire tie wraps. The top bungees are semi-permanently mounted, so they would not completely come apart when removing the viewer.
To make the viewer look better, I used some Krylon black spray pain that is designed for plastics.

The bungee cords are so small that they slide around on the housing handles and do not get in the way of any control use.

Pictures should tell the rest of the story.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can now see my focus while shooting video and the viewer is VERY easy to take off and replace underwater.

Hope this gives you ideas and helps when shooting underwater,

Barry
www.bareports.com
www.keywordworkflow.com

#2 folivier1

folivier1

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

Awesome idea. Since I need a stick on diopter in my mask just to read the settings I can see the value with this.
Hmmm, wonder if a fresnel lens would work?

#3 Dupsbear

Dupsbear

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:10 AM

Hmmm, wonder if a fresnel lens would work?

I tried a fresnel and it did not work as well. My issue was being able to see the focus; the fresnel shows little "lines" across the image, so focus is harder to see.

A plastic fresnel would be pretty flimsy and a glass one would be heavier.

Nexus America sells the Woody diopter for cheap and it is the best way to go.

BTW- I can see the full frame of the screen when looking through the viewer.

Barry
www.bareports.com
www.keywordworkflow.com

#4 alansen

alansen

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:11 AM

Very impressive. i can save on viewfinder.LOL.
Good job.

Since my eyes are over 40 years old, (way over 40!) I found it hard to determine sharp focus when shooting video in a housing while underwater, so I came up with a magnified viewer. This setup will also work for still images when using the live view mode.

Posted Image Posted Image

It is easy to see how the diopter can help one tell if their video is being recorded while in focus.

This setup requires a camera that has a live view mode, where someone can view an image on the back LCD screen before taking an image.

Parts needed are:
1. a pvc coupling from a local hardware store. In my case, I used a 3 inch straight coupling.
2. some 10 inch mini bungee cords
3. two tie wraps
4. a "Woody" diopter aka Nexus 100mm push on diopter for Nexus housing ports.

After measuring where the buttons and eyepiece intersected with the pvc, cutouts were made so I could access needed buttons and keep from pushing buttons that I did not want to push.
The bungee cords are connected at the bottom and top of the pvc by using common wire tie wraps. The top bungees are semi-permanently mounted, so they would not completely come apart when removing the viewer.
To make the viewer look better, I used some Krylon black spray pain that is designed for plastics.

The bungee cords are so small that they slide around on the housing handles and do not get in the way of any control use.

Pictures should tell the rest of the story.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I can now see my focus while shooting video and the viewer is VERY easy to take off and replace underwater.

Hope this gives you ideas and helps when shooting underwater,

Barry
www.bareports.com
www.keywordworkflow.com