#1 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hi,
I am a huge fan of Lightroom, and always wait until the official release, rather than being an unpaid guineapig of Mr. Adobe. I waste dan entire day dealing with the new update messing (and that is the polite word) with my catalogues. It froze and froze. I could hear something running on my computer, like a scan. Thinking it might be spyware, I scanned. I cleaned my registry, did a virus scan, yadayada. I optimized my catalogues, as they suggested after others complained. I actually deleted the preferences as they suggested, and it only deleted my registration of licence key, so I had to re-enter it. I finally removed 3.5, reinstalled 3.4.1, and I am now having difficulties with it as well. I am pretty convinced my catalogues are foo-barred. So, if you are using a Windows 7, 64 bit platform, be warned.
What a mess.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the heads up Marli, I was going to update tomorrow.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

scubamarli,
i updated last week to LightRoom 3.5 for 64 bit Windows and found no problems at all.
It is quite difficoult to guess where is your computers problem as i have no informations about your exact setup, catalogue sizes, processor and RAM, etc.
I suggest you to run a good defragment program on your disks to be sure the the sluggish access on your disk is not bases on a heavily fragmented disk.
That you still have problems running the 3.4.1 Version points in that direction as the installation of 3.5, disinstallation and installation of 3.4.1. probably
fragmented your disk(s) to look like a swiss Emmental cheese.

A free and good defragmentation software is Defraggler: http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 07 October 2011 - 11:46 PM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#4 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 08 October 2011 - 01:42 AM

When you remove software is never gets all removed. You need to use a real uninstaller like http://www.revouninstaller.com/
Win 7 64 bit no problems here although my old 2.4 quad computer was overheating causing Lightroom to crash as it's way overclocked..... once I slowed the CPU speed down Lightroom is all good now.
In fact I run it along with Photoshop CS5 at the same time no problems.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#5 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

Marli,

I'm using Windows 7x64 and upgraded to LR3.5 as well, but have not had the problems you describe. Has anything else changed recently?
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba

#6 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

No recent changes. This is a fairly new computer: two months old. I am running Windows 7, 64 bit. i5 processor, 3.2 Ghz, 8 GB ram. I only store the last few trips of images on my desktop, everything else is on external drives. I tried to do a system restore, and was unable to restore back to before the installation.
At this point, I will try to rebuild the catalogue that I was using. Luckily, I work a bit differently than most, and create catalogues for each trip. On the Lightroom forum, there are several people having the same issue. It does not appear to be widespread.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#7 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

I have updated to the new version of Lightroom and run Windows 7 64bit. I have had no problems
KIrk

#8 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:01 AM

An update on this issue. After backing up everything (twice), I began to look at what could be causing issues. The only new program running was AMD Catalyst, which installed automatically when I updated my Graphics card driver. As I am not a gamer, I wasn't too thrilled that it installed with the driver. I disabled a lot of start up programs, used CC Cleaner, Revo Uninstall, and Tune-Up Utilities to give everything a good cleaning. I then tried to Uninstall Catalyst, which is not an easy task. I managed to get rid of everything that I could find, and removed the icon from the Program list. I reopened LR 3.4.1, and it seems to be behaving now. So, it appears that Catalyst was causing issues with Lightroom.

I am going to wait a bit to update to 3.5, as losing two days of a holiday weekend was a tad annoying.

Cheers,
Marli

Edited by scubamarli, 09 October 2011 - 08:01 AM.

Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com

#9 frisco

frisco

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:UW photography, diving, golf, ski, sailing, single malt whisky & Havana cigars

Posted 11 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

Sorry to ear about your LR 3.5 problems on windows 7 .... This is tha main reason why I switched to a Macbook Pro two years ago !!!
I have installed the 3.5 update with no problems at all and I do have pretty big catalogues.

Hope you will restore your catalogues ASAP !!!

All the Best .... Francesco
SENT FROM THE DESK OF:
====================
Francesco De Marchi
mobile: +39 393 9121727
e-mail: francesco.demarchi@fastwebnet.it
web: http://www.flickr.co...tos/friscodive/

Canon EOS-450D, Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM macro, Canon EF 100mm f/2,8 USM macro, Tokina AT-X 107 AF DX f/3.5-4.5, Inon 45 viewfinder, Canon 250D diopter, Hugyfot housing & ports, Inon Z240 & D2000 strobes, Lightroom 3.0 and MacBook Pro

#10 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

Another thing PC user should do is once you have built a nice running system is to use Win7 built in System image software. Then use it as well to make a boot up CD. Then at the first sign up trouble, boot from the CD, pull your image back over the C: drive or partition and go and make a cuppa coffee and relax. Come back later and presto you have a prefect running computer.

Of course the golden rule of PC's is to never save anything, anywhere on that C: drive or partition that the operating system is on. I carry a boot CD with my laptop so if it goes down while on the liveaboard or even does not boot, its easy to get going again.

All your Adobe software licenses will still work after too so no problem having to unlock them again.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#11 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

I ended up not having to rebuild my catalogues. After removing most ,not all, of Catalyst..(it is a bi$#h to remove)I did a few cleanings, Spyware and finally defragged every drive, including the externals. LR is running fine now. I remain a little unwilling to update, but I feel pretty confident it will work fine now. By the way, insults from Lightroom Forums has me unwilling to go THAT route again. Too bad Adobe's help is not better. I am sure it would be blamed on my system, rather than something they have not considered. It seems LR is really tapping into a computer's resources, for a better word more than ever before.

Anyway, I am a huge fan of Lightroom, but I feel they use the public to test their software before it is totally debugged.
Anyway, hopefully eberyone else will not experience what I and others have in dealing with LR 3.5.

Cheers, and happy processing,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com