Photo

Newbie Must Read: What new system did you just buy?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 12:04 AM

Hi
Thought I'd refresh this topic for 2011.

The most asked question by any newbie is one that many ask or do research on. So in the tradition of Mr Wetpixel himself, we will (try) to restart this thread to give newbies the most up to date new rigs from members who have made the plunge themselves and why.
So members who have recently bought new rigs, please feel free to add your opinions and feedback on your rigs so that others may benefit from your knowledge. The more details the better.

For ease of reading and research for members, please refrain from off topic discussions
Thanks and happy shopping.

The older thread is here:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=24887

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Ron Kruger

Ron Kruger

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

I've been a professional outdoor photographer for decades. I started playing around with a 12 MP underwater P&S (Optio W80) in freshwater streams and rivers last summer and sold some shots from it right away.

I bought it as a cheap way to investigate underwater light, figuring I would upgrade to a more professional quality underwater camera later, but I find the protability of this pocket camera a major advantage, and, surprisingly, the IQ is adaquate for reproduction.

But I have two problems with it. The biggest is composing pictures. Using live-view on the LCD is akward enough in the first place (this is the first P&S I've owned), but when holding it underwater, I can't see it at all. I have to point and guess. I snorkle while using it, but most of the time I sit with my head above water, holding the camera under, waiting for something to swim into view. An underwater P&S with a tilt/swivel LCD would be great, but I haven't come across one.

The other is the shutter lag--very annoying--especially for fish swimming around.

I suppose shutter lag is an unavoidable nature of the beast, although I understand some models have shorter lag, but if I could just find one with a tilt LCD, I'd be pleased.
Any suggestions?

#3 bubbling-under

bubbling-under

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:17 PM

Hi there,

New to forum... finding it a great place to assist me with some upgrades I am currently considering

After a few years of reasonably successful shooting with my Ixus 75 in a Canon Housing, I have decided to upgrade to a Canon S95
Both in the UK and overseas I enjoy wreck photography and i use a INON UFL - 165 AD fish eye lens, which I am very pleased with ..
If my understanding is correct with the 95 and it's 28mm lens and the 95 using a different lens mount (LD) I will have compatibility issues trying to re-use the lens .. I am wondering if I would get reasonable results if I were to purchase a LD/AD converter and zoom through the lens .... may be worth a try

I am also looking at adding a strobe, usual contenders the new YS101 or a INON S2000, plenty for me to read on this subject !

Edited by bubbling-under, 22 January 2011 - 03:44 PM.

#4 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:04 AM

On Friday, I will take delivery of an almost new Aquatica system! After searching off and on for a couple of years, I believe I have found a decent system! I think I paid too much, but the vendor feels I'm not paying enough, so it must have been a fair price:

This system consists of:

Aquatica Housing
D90
12 - 24 mm lens
105 maco lens
50 mm lens
macro port
8" dome with shade
Ikelite DS 161 an arm

The vendor kindly took the housing into Aquatica to bring it up to snuff, something I really appreciated.

I am hitting a pool next week to try it our before heading to Utila next week, and Belize the following month, so any starter tips would be appreciated! :island:

I am holding a wake for my Nikonos III, purchased during my final year of high school (1974) with a fraudulently obtained bank loan, next weekend.

Edited by Stoo, 26 January 2011 - 05:11 AM.

#5 pikey

pikey

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:24 AM

Hi

I am a beginner to underwater photography, but have had some success shooting on dry land with a small 12MP fujifilm. I was just wondering what everyones opinions were on the Intova sports 8 or intova CP8. I have seen them both in a local photo shop for a reasonable price (including housing). I have seen some photos that have been taken from the intova sports 8 and they look quite good.

Has anyone had any problems with them, and are they suitable to be an all round camera (dry land shooting as well as underwater?)

I'm looking for a camera that hasnt got a millions different settings for light and shutter speed etc, but I do want a camera that has some variation to its settings and can be used in many different situations.
I havent fully researched many brands, and am planning to go to a local underwater photography store to have a proper look into what is available, and hopefully get some much needed advice on where to start

any suggestions would be VERY welcome!

#6 Bluefish

Bluefish

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:18 AM

I'll be watching this one closely. I just purchased a 40D, and am looking around at housings now. I hadn't dared yet put up the generic "what should I buy" question (although I have a fairly good idea already).

But, I would love to hear what 40D owners are thinking of their setups?

Cheers,
Ry.

I have a 40D and use an Ikelite Housing. I have never used another housing so don't know how it compares but I find it great although changing settings underwater is a bit tricky...maybe it is on all housings though! I have also had a problem with the eye viewfinder becoming fogged and it needed replacing. Not sure really how this happened.

#7 LindsayH

LindsayH

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:20 AM

Hello Underwater Photographers,

My name is Lindsay and I'm new to this website and looking for some advice on upgrading my camera equipment. I'm a little bit different from some of the other newbies, in that I am not new to the acts of underwater photography or diving, and I feel I'm pretty good at them, but I don't know a lot about cameras or photography lingo. I've been diving 12 years (now a PADI Divemaster), and I've recently completed my Masters in Marine Biology. I'm currently applying to PhD positions in the same field. About four years ago I bought a SeaLife DC600 and strobe, and have really gotten my money's worth out of them, as they've been snorkeling and on hundreds of dives in the Caymans, Virgin Islands, the Red Sea, Galapagos, and elsewhere. I've really learned how to use the camera, but I feel like I've maxed out with it, and just want something newer and better (particularly more megapixels). So here's where I need the advice: my husband and I have two Panasonic cameras (DMC-FZ28 and DMC-TZ5), and I want to know if I should get the housing for either of those, get the new SeaLife (though I am a little tired of SeaLife and am looking for something a little fancier), or get something else entirely, which I am willing to do. I see a lot of posts, especially in this thread, about Canons and Nikons, but not many about Panasonics, so this is why I'm curious if either of the two Panasonics I have would be good. The little bit I have seen about Panasonics suggests they might be a little more prone to flooding than other cameras; I insure my gear, but I've never flooded a camera and would like to avoid it at all costs. Other points: as I mostly do research diving, I'm looking for a good balance of camera quality yet smaller size; I often have other gear (clipboards, nets, measuring tape, bags of stuff, etc.) that I'm diving with, so a really large camera set-up would probably not be good. Also, I'm usually working pretty close to the reef, so I tend to notice and take pictures of small things, and would like a camera that does close-ups well. If you suggest something new entirely, what would that be? Of course I would like a good deal, but I'm not feeling stingy about this, as I dive regularly and expect to get a lot of use out of my camera, so I'm willing to spend accordingly. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lindsay

P.S. If you're interested in any of my photos, I have a photos section on my personal website: http://www.wix.com/l.../lindsayhuebner

Edited by LindsayH, 06 March 2011 - 10:25 AM.

#8 chrishiggs

chrishiggs

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

The most asked question by any newbie is one that many ask or do research on. So in the tradition of Mr Wetpixel himself, we will (try) to restart this quarterly thread to give newbies the most up to date new rigs from members who have made the plunge themselves.
So members who have recently bought new rigs, please feel free to add your opinions and feedback on your rigs so that others may benefit from your knowledge.
Thanks and happy shopping.

I am new to wetpixel. I have been using a sea life DC500 and DC 800 for about 4 years now and have taken some great shots but am ready to advance to using my DSLR. I have a Canon 7d and don't know where to start with housing and strobes and don't have any local dive shop pros to ask as they are all hunters not photo hounds.

#9 heysalvo

heysalvo

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:39 PM

Any suggestions/recommendations for a housing for a Canon 5D?

Hi there,

Did you ever decide on a housing? After a lot of research I am about to buy the Ikelite for my 5dMII. It seems that no housing gets away with a completely unblemished record, and my understanding is that most floods are diver error, but the diver may tend to blame the housing anyway :rolleyes:. The pro photogs that I've spoken to who chose Ikelite chose to do so because they are durable and affordable, both of which I'm looking for, and the apparent bonus of seeing any leaks through the clear plastic.

I will be shooting video as well as stills, and am trying to determine if it really is worth it to get the DS161 strobes over the DS51, and if so, are two necessary? I've heard both. Any input from all fellow Ikelite divers would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Kate

#10 sammie

sammie

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:40 AM

Hi all,
New to scuba, but have been studying film for too long. Looking forward to learning from this site!

#11 JayKav

JayKav

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:06 PM

Hi all. Stepping up from a G10 with Ikelite housing!
Just bought a Canon 7D. I'm very close to buying the Nauticam housing. Does anyone have any thoughts about this housing? Good/Bad? Should I consider Subal or Sea&Sea?
Also... am thinking of getting the Canon 60mm macro lens and a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye. Should this have me covered? Also looking at the Sigma 10-20mm b/c it's easier to find here in Australia.
Finally, I currently have a DS-51 Ikelite strobe. I'm going to use that for a few months. But will probably upgrade to a 2nd flash in a few months. Thinking having the Ikelite paired with an Inon. Is this a good/bad idea?
Thanks for your feedback!
Jay

#12 Hararilior

Hararilior

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:33 PM

Hi,

Just a newcomer posting a reply to get started.

seems like a really great forum you have here, learned quite a bit already.

Cheers,

Lior

#13 deakspeak1

deakspeak1

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

Hi chaps, just moved up from oly c5050 to e-620 with ufl strobe. Would be delighted to hear from anyone with advice on this setup.

#14 Uwater-boy

Uwater-boy

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

Hi - not really a newbie.....had U/W outfit from film and converted digital in 2004 to a C-5050z and still have it.

Have re-joined Wetpixel after a few years off diving with a view to getting back into my hobby....

I have a big question....Is it worth upgrading my kit....
I am looking E-PL2 with YS-110alphas and Zen dome, 9-18mm or keep my C-5050z with weikamp adapter to YS-90, 67mm screw on INON dome and macro.....

I have publushed photos with my old kit and apart from shutter lag and pixel count I am struggling to see amove which could cost me 1000 or more....
Opinions please....

thxs....

#15 redgrouper

redgrouper

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 12:19 AM

Newbie as well, using this thread to get my first post and introduce myself.

I have been taking underwater pictures for a while but always with kind of crappy gear. I started with a Sony DSCP-9 and went on with a Sanyo HD2.
Once the excitment of bringing something out of the water and sharing my dives with the non diver part of my family and friends, I got quickly frustrated.

I own a Rolleiflex 2.8E, a Nikon FA and A Nikon D300s and I have always fantasised about it might be bringing quality camera such as these underwater. I have contemplated buying a D300s housing but they are either very expansive or to crappy to take the risk.
Furthemore, the D300s will always be a fantastic camera but I might be interested in seing what Nikon comes up with next, so investing in a pricy housing that can, only be used with one camera quickly became the wrong option.

In the end I jumped on a completely different opportunty; I saw a rolleimarin + 3.5F in an exceptional condition and went for it. At least I don't run the risk of this one becoming obsolete! I have started testing it and so far so good.
I hope to share some good photos here and I hope I will find an answer to my many questions (what flash? exposure meter? film?, etc.).

Cheers

#16 shaky

shaky

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

Hi All, I am new to the forum and currently in the market for a decent beginners set - probably will go for Oly EPL-2.

#17 horsediver

horsediver

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

For my first underwater rig, I purchased a Canon S95, Fisheye housing, and Sea&Sea YS-110a strobe. I think the S95 is a good beginner's camera because it allows you to shoot in aperture control mode or full manual mode, so that you have total control over your exposure settings. It's a daunting task to learn how to shoot full manual, but I believe it is the only way to have full creative control of the pictures you shoot. The downside of aperture control mode with the S95 is that you're limited to TTL flash setting. The downside of TTL with the S95 is very poor recycle times which is very frustrating and keeps you from taking multiple pictures, causing you to seriously miss opportunities. Once you go into full manual mode, you can play with your strobe positioning and exposure settings so that you're shooting with reduced strobe power and you can then fire off a lot of pictures consecutively with perfect exposure. If you want to have control over your pictures, learn to shoot in manual mode. It is so worth it and will help you make the transition to shooting a DSLR.

#18 Marijana

Marijana

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

Hi

I am a new as newbie gets but i have been researching for months now! This forum is fantastic as i am learning SO much!
Now just have to narrow down my list of camera choices....

Marijana

#19 intokyo

intokyo

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

I just need to partly submerge the front element of the lens, for white-water rafting, and shots in a pool. And I can't dive :B):

So I bought this housing (below), on an impulse. Of course it doesn't fit any of my Nikons. It does have this 6-pin cable inside, which as far as I can tell, goes to a flash connection on the exterior of the housing. So I am wondering which camera it is actually for? (It's a Sea & Sea model, but I have no idea which one).

http://www.flickr.co...168/5982770404/

http://www.flickr.co...168/5982209693/

#20 scubadupa

scubadupa

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:07 AM

I started with a fuji f80 exr last year, with the fuji housing and a intova strobe, whilst at the time it was just a starter kit for myself, it has served its purpose and will be going to DSLR Nikon D7000 with a Nauticam housing in the next few months.