Photo

Newbie Must Read: What new system did you just buy?

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#61 apsimpson06

apsimpson06

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:29 AM

I started with a fuji f80 exr last year, with the fuji housing and a intova strobe, whilst at the time it was just a starter kit for myself, it has served its purpose and will be going to DSLR Nikon D7000 with a Nauticam housing in the next few months.

I have been dabbling in u/w photography for 12 months and have the same camera Fuji F80 EXR. impressed with the quality of images from reletive shallow dives, hoping santa will get me a strobe for christmas.

#62 mmorgan0330

mmorgan0330

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Hithere! New to the forum but not to the joys of underwater photography. Lookforward to learning more about my passion! BTW I am selling my Nikon d300 WITHthe Subal ND300 housing AND the Subal WS 45 degree viewfinder! I will post acomplete add in the classifieds.

#63 hammer88

hammer88

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

hi everybody

#64 bear35

bear35

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

HI Newbie bear35 here just making a reply so I can post. :P

#65 nflor001

nflor001

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

Hello new here. Went from a Sealife DC1200 to an Olympus epm1 and housing.
Joined to get some tips and tricks.

#66 TheDeuce

TheDeuce

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hey,

My story starts in January of 2011 when the gentleman operating the Belezian dive shop we were diving with lent me his Canon Powershot SD 850 (iirc). I'd been diving since 2004 (rarely, as us Canadian prairie folk are wont to do) and my buddy and I had goofed around with his first-gen GoPro but I was instantly hooked once I got the Powershot images uploaded. I was an SLR shooter back in high school (circa 1991), lost it for a while, and got back into it when I accidentally bought a Canon Rebel XTi (Canon 400D in international parlance, I believe) in 2007.

Starting shopping, I was expecting to invest in a P&S, perhaps a Sealife, given that I dive so rarely. Making an investment in an SLR housing didn't seem prudent, but when I went to my LDS for advice I was in luck! His photography-inclined employee was selling his Ikelite XTi housing for peanuts. We closed the deal, bought a single DS161 strobe, and still had change for what I'd have spent on the Sealife setup. Bulky, perhaps, but affordable! I was pumped to start hitting the local dive sites with a vengeance. Local, cold, freshwater diving with my new setup. What could be better?

(And yes, I know that the term 'bulky' is relative. Looking at some of the rigs you guys are using brings to mind the contraption that James Cameron slid into to go check out the Mariana Trench!)

Life deviates from the script on a regular basis, however. In my case it was a very welcome addition to our growing family that helped delete the two annual dive trips me and the buds did. Fast forward to today and I have some great looking equipment that looks like it hasn't been used since.... well.... before I bought it. Yikes!

In the meantime my topside equipment has been upgraded (I happily snagged a 7D and recently added a 5D Mark II that was priced so low I couldn't walk away). I started thinking about ways to swap the XTi housing for either the 7D or 5DM2 but rational sensibility stepped in my way. Gear lust and intelligence are on two ends of a teeter-totter in my brain. Gear lust goes up, the intelligence goes down. Thankfully the metaphorical teeter-totter swung back the other way. I'm now getting re-excited to dive the Rebel setup, knowing three things:

1. The Rebel can take just as good a pic as the 7D, something I've proven to myself a number of times.
2. The price differential between what I'd get for the XTi housing and what I'd pay for a 7D (or 5DM2) housing would be tough to justify.
3. The cost of a DEU Error (Defective End User Error) is a lot lower if I have a Rebel inside instead of a 7D. Soggy XTi replacement on eBay: around $300. Soggy 7d or 5DM2 replacement: a much larger number, be it in Pounds, Euros, Canadian Dollars, or USD.

(I did some internal debating about whether the 7D or M5D2 would make for a better underwater rig. I wonder if that's been discussed around here... :) )

That's my story. It was a book that brought me here ('The Underwater Photographer'). Here's hoping that a lot of fun times keeps me here.

Cheers to all!

m.

#67 shaundoylephoto

shaundoylephoto

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hello new here. Went from a Sealife DC1200 to an Olympus epm1 and housing.
Joined to get some tips and tricks.

How do you like the epm1 that one im looking at right now? Do you have strobes, are you just using the kit lens or did you get the wide angle with the dome port?

#68 OCDiver911

OCDiver911

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hi. New here. I just ordered my first digital system :lol: Listing my old equipment in the classified forum. Bunch of stuff is still useful just need to clean house.

#69 nflor001

nflor001

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

How do you like the epm1 that one im looking at right now? Do you have strobes, are you just using the kit lens or did you get the wide angle with the dome port?

I like it a lot. I have a sea and sea ys01 strobe. I purchased my strobe, tray and arms, and housing from optical ocean sales. I puchased my camera refurbished from cameta. No dome port yet.

#70 Reimalken

Reimalken

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:44 AM

Hey there one and all.
Brand new here, and completely at a loss for where to go next. I figure this is probably the right forum for me just right now!

I'm faced with a conundrum of having about 250-300 to spend on a new camera for all purposes, but I am fascinated by the pictures people have shown me from trying underwater photography.
I'd love to find the right camera for me that is new person friendly, but also with scope for learning some more about the hobby.

I have had a look around and found lots of really nice cameras at that price, but inevitably they are reviewed as generic cameras (rather than for use underwater) and as soon as I find one that seems good, I can't find a housing for it, or the housing is way above what I could afford on top of that 300, for example I saw a beautiful camera at 280 that did everything I could have hoped for, and an internet search turned up no housings for it at all save one, which cost 5 times the cost of the camera. I cried a little on the inside and went back to the drawing board on that one!
Similarly when I look for a decent underwater camera via reviews and similar the cameras they sometimes point towards are older cameras which, when I search, I can't find a housing for.
I am struggling to find a review or recommendation for a camera that meets my wants of being idiot friendly and usable in a variety of settings (i.e is it still an easy camera to use day in day out without the case for general point and shoot-ness) and still provides me with a chance to learn a little more about underwater photography in general.
As for underwater use, i'd love the opportunity to take some shots at relatively shallow depths in tropical water. I am not really sure what the right questions to ask are, let alone whether I am asking them in the right place, and whilst I am sure nobody likes this question I am sufficiently unsure as to make it worth asking...
I'd really appreciate anyone who has had a similar decision to make give me their opinions on the sort of camera I should be looking for, and anything specifically to avoid.

Feeling quite overwhelmed at this point and very much in need of advice. I scrolled back through the forum listing on this subforum and found only 2 pages of threads, nobody had asked a stupid question in any of them which either means they're all well informed or I have missed the obvious.
Apologies for the ugly first post.

Greg

#71 Reimalken

Reimalken

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

I have an olympus xz-1 available to me relatively inexpensively, and the olympus housing looks quite good, hopefully its a good camera for me! Only one way to find out I suppose

#72 b2003

b2003

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:D800 housings and lenses

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Been shooting for the last several years with a Nexus d300 and Inon strobes. Bought a D800 and am deciding between the Nexus and Nauticam housings. Have never shot video before. I have always believed its mostly about the user interface with the housing that's most important rather than brand. Have always loved My Nexus but hear Nauticam is more friendly, although weighs about half more. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also any thoughts on the management of the huge files that are coming my way with the 36mp sensor and the lack of wide angle FX lenses. My 105mm and 60mm are already FX, but I see I need a 17-35FX. Also I'm used to 1.5x on my 105mm and assume I will be disappointed with only the rated 105mm. My 105mm on a DX with a wet Nexus diopter is just right for Pygmies.... I guess not so anymore? Will I have to put on a 1:4 tele to be back in the same place, but with the loss of speed, or buy a more powerful wet diopter? I'm really swimming with issues with housing this D800. Maybe I should sell it and get a D7000 and crank along with all my FX stuff, file sizes and experience from about 10,000 images per year over 5 years????????

#73 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

Hey there one and all.
Brand new here, and completely at a loss for where to go next. I figure this is probably the right forum for me just right now!

I'm faced with a conundrum of having about 250-300 to spend on a new camera for all purposes, but I am fascinated by the pictures people have shown me from trying underwater photography.
I'd love to find the right camera for me that is new person friendly, but also with scope for learning some more about the hobby.

I have had a look around and found lots of really nice cameras at that price, but inevitably they are reviewed as generic cameras (rather than for use underwater) and as soon as I find one that seems good, I can't find a housing for it, or the housing is way above what I could afford on top of that 300, for example I saw a beautiful camera at 280 that did everything I could have hoped for, and an internet search turned up no housings for it at all save one, which cost 5 times the cost of the camera. I cried a little on the inside and went back to the drawing board on that one!
Similarly when I look for a decent underwater camera via reviews and similar the cameras they sometimes point towards are older cameras which, when I search, I can't find a housing for.
I am struggling to find a review or recommendation for a camera that meets my wants of being idiot friendly and usable in a variety of settings (i.e is it still an easy camera to use day in day out without the case for general point and shoot-ness) and still provides me with a chance to learn a little more about underwater photography in general.
As for underwater use, i'd love the opportunity to take some shots at relatively shallow depths in tropical water. I am not really sure what the right questions to ask are, let alone whether I am asking them in the right place, and whilst I am sure nobody likes this question I am sufficiently unsure as to make it worth asking...
I'd really appreciate anyone who has had a similar decision to make give me their opinions on the sort of camera I should be looking for, and anything specifically to avoid.

Feeling quite overwhelmed at this point and very much in need of advice. I scrolled back through the forum listing on this subforum and found only 2 pages of threads, nobody had asked a stupid question in any of them which either means they're all well informed or I have missed the obvious.
Apologies for the ugly first post.

Greg

g12 or s95 with canon housing is about the cheapest for quality pics, slow auto focus is the drama- next up would be the Olympus PEN E-PM1.......
Or maybe an older dslr second hand like a d80 or 450d/500d in an ikelite housing.
try here-
http://www.uwpmag.com/?p=sell

also scubaboard and ebay and classified ads in your local area.

#74 Tony M.

Tony M.

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

Well, I didn't exactly just buy it, but I've been playing around with my old Nikonos II's again here lately, and figured I'd join the forum and see what was going on these days.

I normally shoot with Nikon D2x and D2h, depending on subject matter. obviously, those are more terestrial cameras, as I don't have housings.

#75 joeym

joeym

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

hello i'm new here. hoping to find info on what setup to buy. i currently have a nikon d300 and a bunch of glass. i have never shot underwater except with gopros and PNS's.

i am looking for a camera and a housing. but this is the catch. i have no interest in shooting deep underwater, reefs, macro, etc.

what i want to shoot are half in and out shots, as well as pics of our sportfishing. which would all be near the surface. i also want to shoot dslr video. i was planning on getting a d800 (for a non-underwater camera upgrade). but a d800 and a housing are both a lot of money and not quite generally available yet.

i am wondering if anybody has suggestions. i was thinking an underwater housing for my d300 may be better bang for my buck. but i was worried my d300 is getting obsolete now, and has no video.

thanks

#76 lungfish

lungfish

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hi guys im new here and have some Q's

#77 JUSTFORDIVERS

JUSTFORDIVERS

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

HELLO, I PURCHASED A CANON REBEL EOS T4i WITH AN IKELITE 650D HOUSING ALONG WITH THE IKELITE SYNC CORD TO CONNECT MY SEA & SEA 110a STROBE. THE STROBE WILL NOT FIRE. IS THERE A CAMERA SETTING THAT I'M MISSING?

#78 merger

merger

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:23 AM

Hi all, just moved onto dslr after a few years compact, Im starting at the beggining with a new gift of a cannon 1100D. I know you used to be able to get an ikelite housing for this model, maybe hoping theres one lying around still second hand.. any suggestions, as far as the diving bit goes Im a GUE diver of ten years, and love to study marine life.

#79 mblazer

mblazer

Starfish

• Team Wetpixel
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Photography -- UW and landscape
    Harleys
    Diving -- anywhere, any time

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

Figured I'd jump in after quite a bit of trolling. I've been into photography since high school (many many moons ago). I started diving 4 years ago (a bucket list item) and very quickly got hooked. Underwater photography was a natural next step. I started with a Sealife DC1000 with dual flashes. I got to the point this year where I outgrew that system and have now upgraded to a DSLR system. My rig is built around a Nikon D800. Working with Optical Ocean Sales in Seattle, I just bought a Nauticam housing and extension ring, Zen 9" dome port, Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes, I-DAS arms, and miscellaneous bits and pieces. The principal lens I'll be using foe now is the Nikkor 14-24 (which explains the 9" dome). I'll eventually be adding the Nikkor 105 for macro.
I would rather be ashes than dust!
I would rather that my spark should burn out
in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom
of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.

#80 @!ex

@!ex

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Hi, I'm looking for some expert advice. I have a 5D mkiii and would like to take some over-under shots (camera lens 50% submerged). I don't dive and wouldn't need much more capability than pushing the shutter for focusing ect, as I would most likely be able to just adjust things the way I wanted then submerge. I have the 14mm 2.8L II so I figure that will be wide enough to capture the wide-angle needed for these types of shots. Since I won't be submerging it very far I only need something that is rated for a few feet or less of water depth. I also would imagine that I would need a decent sized dome (maybe 7-8") to accommodate the 14mm, but I'm just not accustomed to how this works in an over-under scenario.

I have seen some "cases" that seem more like modified ziplock bags, but I'm not too sure if any of them would have a wide enough field of view, or how they would work in an over-under situation. I don't have a very big budget for this, as I don't live near the ocean and these would just be for specialty shots now and then (on vacation or in local streams and lakes). I figure you guys would have the type of experience and expertise to help me figure out what the options are.

Thanks in advance