Photo

Newbie Must Read: What new system did you just buy?

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#101 clawnfish

clawnfish

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Hi,

I am also new to the forum. I used my Olympus C-8080 for almost 7 years and after breaking one Olympus housing, buying another one and breaking that one too, now I am planning to move to a better, solid setup. I have a Nikon D90 and was planning to go for Hugyfot and Inon Z-240 in addition to my Inon Z-220 but I saw the discussions on Nauticam E-M5 and OMD and after making some calculations buying the Nauticam and the camera from scratch costs less then the Hugyfot setup. So I am a bit confused and hoping to get some help form you guys for my decision process.

#102 hurtlegear

hurtlegear

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

Hi

i am a new member of this forum. looking some hot topic to participate.

#103 Andrew76

Andrew76

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:SCUBA, Photography, Running.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

Hey everyone.  I have been a land photographer for a while now, and decided to take the plunge, as it were, with underwater photography.  I just purchased an Ikelite housing for my Canon 60D, along with dual S&S YS-D1 strobes.  I'm shooting both WA, and macro.

Hope to get some good info from this site! 

#104 down4fun

down4fun

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

New to the forum. Just picked up a used canon s95 with a fix housing and a couple of wet lenses. Still need to add a tray and strobes. And of course learn how to use it. 

#105 ukdave0

ukdave0

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:28 PM

New poster to the forum, long time lurker. 

Olympus XZ-1 with Olympus housing,

then added one Inon D2000 strobe with UCLS tray/ arms,

then added the Inon diopter,

the bought Light Room, still learning how to shoot and edit.

#106 torbein

torbein

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Just bought a Canon G12 with 2 ikelite ai flashes.

#107 Dominic51

Dominic51

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

Hi to all!

New to wetpixel and underwater photography and in dire need of your expert advice. 

I recently bought an Olympus E-PM1 with the PT-EP06 housing.

Now, a friend is selling his used YS-250PRO strobe but it does not come with arms, trays and cords.

Can you guys help me out on which strobe accessories suits best for the camera I have?

I'm planning to start on a single strobe at first then if budget comes in, I'm going for another one.

#108 Mbarretts20

Mbarretts20

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

Hi folks- new here- not new to photography. I've had good luck having photos published by a number of places. I've had some good luck with ocean/and underwater, but looking to move past my EWA marine housing. Currently shooting with 20d, 30d, 7d...whole host of lenses.

Looking forward to finally being able to post on here- took a while...

#109 Walmyr Buzatto

Walmyr Buzatto

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

Just read this whole thread from the first page, and noticed there's almost no feedback from the experts to the many questions posted by the newbies. I got curious about a long post by LindsayH at the first page of the thread, so I read it all in search for an answer to her questions, in vain. I guess she was quite disappointed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Using Tapatalk

#110 cbrich

cbrich

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

I have been lurking around for sometime, and but have never introduced myself.  I have been diving since 1999, and the underwater photography has hit me really bad.  My current setup:

• Nikon D7000
  • Nauticam D7000
  • Nikon 105mm
  • Inon 165 micro lens

I am mainly interested in the macro photography.

#111 Aleq

Aleq

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:33 AM

Hey, everybody. I started with DiCaPac for Canon Ixus, then I used DiCaPac on my fullframe Sony A900. It was acceptable while snorkeling. For last vacation I purchased Ikelite housing for RX100 and I was very pleased with it. Let's see where I go from here, but I think I'll stick to RX100 and Ikelite for now. It's time to practice my skills now, the equipment seems to be more capable then I am. :)

#112 Leonardding

Leonardding

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

Totally brand new guys to wetpixel and underwater. Really thx this post.

#113 hamiltg4

hamiltg4

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

Hello!

I am currently using the GoPro Hero 3 for most of my dive pictures and video, and it performs well for what it is. I am looking to upgrade into a DSLR rig (I use a Nikon D5000 for everything above water) and was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on housing, lighting etc. 

I know it's a pricey venture, and I just want to make sure that I get something that will be well worth the time and money.

Thank you!

#114 snowshoe.gal

snowshoe.gal

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

Hi guys, Canuckian snowbird here - new to scuba, looking to explore underwater photography and video. Have taken some bad ones on a cheap kit, and am already hooked!

Cheers from Canada/Cali

#115 martinvan10

martinvan10

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

Hi everyone,

Looking forward to learning heaps about the great world of underwater photography! Recently upgraded to a Nikon d7000 set up and now looking to get all the underwater gear and learning as much as I can :)

#116 corbyjvd

corbyjvd

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:00 PM

I just got an Olympus E-M5 and a Nauticam NA-Em5. Housing. Having a challenging time getting the external strobe I had fire. Not sure if it is a compatibility issue. Hope I figure it out before we go to Raja Ampat. Corby

#117 smk82

smk82

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:42 AM

Fairly new to the forum. Have recently expanded my setup to include a second strobe and domeport.  :clapping: . I just haven't had a chance to test it yet outside of the swimming pool! Most of the Current rig looks like

Canon S95 with Canon WDC-38 housing

Inon D4 tray 

2 x Inon Mega float arms + 28LD lens holders 

2x 8" std arms (with stix floats - new acquisition - a neutral camera is a joy!)

2x Inon Z240 strobes

UL-165 28LD macro lens

UWL-H100 WA lens + Dome port (28LD)

Might change the 8" arms to 5" ones (or more likely just get the 5" as well!)... Just trying to get used to 2 strobes over one...

Edited by smk82, 21 February 2014 - 06:42 AM.

#118 Absolutbill

Absolutbill

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:32 PM

Pretty new here. Have been shooting with a sea life dc1400 and just upgraded to a canon g16 in a fantasea housing, with a sea and sea tray and arm and a ys-d1. I am very excited and eager to get shooting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#119 micht1986

micht1986

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

I'm another newbie around here, too.  I've been taking pictures for quite a while now and have a full Canon 50D kit.  As I'm learning to Scuba Dive and want to take my experiences underwater I'm at a bit of a crossroads.  

My 50D is getting long in the tooth and Ikelite has discontinued their housing.  I am a little gun shy of buying used as I imagine maintenance and upkeep is pretty important in keeping these housings in good working order.  I also am a bit worried about buying a housing for my primary camera as I probably will be upgrading soon. 

So I've narrowed things down to four options and wanted to know what you guys think:

1).  Get a housing for a 50D if I can find one.  Concerns above, but I know this will give me the most control and flexibility.

2). Nikon 1 AW1 - though this has a depth limit of 50 feet so that's a bit worrying.

3). Nikon 1 J3 + WP-N2

4.) Olympus E-PL5 and PT-EP10 housing.  

Ideally I'd like to keep the budget in the ballpark of the housing prices ~$1600.

I'd love to hear your thoughts/opinions.

Thanks,

Mike

#120 AzurPhotoPlongée

AzurPhotoPlongée

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

Hello, i'm a new one. I'm french and I begin in underwater photography. I have so much thing to learn.

Here is my material :Nikon D800E, Aquatica housing with optical fiber, 2xSea&Sea YS-D1, Nikon 105 mm micro VR and 17-35 mm ED. Nice to be with you on this forum.