Photo

Newbie Must Read: What new system did you just buy?

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#41 DiverPam

DiverPam

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

Sounds like the initial question - which rig did you buy - in order to help newbies - does not have too many answers. Or maybe I am missing the point too. But just in case - here is my "newest" setup. I went through the process of changing setups about 2 1/2 years ago - and any questions I had, I asked on here and got great feedback. So do not be afraid to ask. When I made my most recent change - I moved from a P&S in an Ikelite housing with one strobe and 2 wet lens.

Current Setup -
Nikon D90
Aquatica housing
6" dome - great for traveling - fits into luggage better than an 8" or bigger + ports/gears for other lens
Ikelite DS 161 and DS 125 strobes
3 sync cables (third one is for backup)
Ultralight arms
Tokina 10-17 lens (must have for any cropped sensor DSLR in my humble opinion) - great fisheye lens
Sigma 17-70
60mm macro
105mm macro
Big Blue focus light

If you can get your hands on a setup and play with it - in or out of the water - go for it.

Happy diving - DiverPam

Nikon D90 in Aquatica Housing, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm macro, 105mm macro, Sigma 17-70mm, + Ikelite DS 161 and DS-125 strobe combo  www.flickr.com/photos/pammurph/

The Fin Foundation

#42 beoks

beoks

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

Hi guys

I was pretty fortunate this year for the holidays and I recieved a Cannon T3i from santa. Ive used only little point and shoots (dc600, coolpixs l24) so most of this is all new to me.

So far i have been looking at the Sea & Sea RDX housing with the tokina fisheye lense. the big issue i see now is backscatter has a used optical dome port for a fairly good price but its the acrylic not the glass. Does anyone have expience with the acrylic or have any recommendations?

Thanks
Jon

#43 Herbdb

Herbdb

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

Just replaced my old Olympus SP-350 with an Olympus XZ-1.

#44 cess102

cess102

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:28 PM

hi guys!

So glad to be part of your community! Learning new tips and techniques from other masters is a big thing for me! cant wait to share one of my photos!and BTW, you can call me lou!i love shooting wedding photography and that is one of my key edges in photography... i also love graphic designing. Ive started shooting 3 years ago with my Nikon d3000..and now im using D90.

rockpaperscissorsph.com

#45 Cicada Lady

Cicada Lady

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:35 AM

I've happily been using my Nikonos RS since 1993 but now received the Aquatica housing for my D700 for Christmas. So I'm getting my feet wet in digital at last! I just bought the 9 1/2" dome port so I can take advantage of my Sigma 15mm lens. I have 2 YS110a's to light up the field of view.

I'm really gonna miss my RS's 13mm though ...... :(

#46 Neil_B

Neil_B

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

New to the forum, although not totally new to u/w photography. If we forget about the SeaLife 35mm (and I'm happy to), I started with a Canon digital P/S (plus external strobe) 5-6 years ago and then about 2 years ago switched to a used D200 in a Sea & Sea housing, with S&S YS-110 strobes plus other S&S peripherals. I think going used was a great way to convince myself that I really did want to stick with it before dropping too much $$$. And now of course I'm hooked and will be upgrading soon to a D300 and some more better strobes and peripherals! Obviously a D300 isn't state of the art, but to me it will be a good step forward, and buying used is about the only way I can afford to play the game. My only alternative is to have some phenominal gear but no money for diving, and that ain't much of an alternative.

#47 bluerdeep

bluerdeep

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hi all. Stepping up from a G10 with Ikelite housing!
Just bought a Canon 7D. I'm very close to buying the Nauticam housing. Does anyone have any thoughts about this housing? Good/Bad? Should I consider Subal or Sea&Sea?
Also... am thinking of getting the Canon 60mm macro lens and a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye. Should this have me covered? Also looking at the Sigma 10-20mm b/c it's easier to find here in Australia.
Finally, I currently have a DS-51 Ikelite strobe. I'm going to use that for a few months. But will probably upgrade to a 2nd flash in a few months. Thinking having the Ikelite paired with an Inon. Is this a good/bad idea?
Thanks for your feedback!
Jay

Hi Jay - I just wondered how you got on with your housing choice? I am looking at possible housings for my 7D. I'm considering Sea & Sea or Nauticam (or possibly Hugyfot). I can find lots of reviews for Nauticam, but nothing for Sea & Sea - which seems odd?!

It would be great to hear how you're getting on...

#48 kritsm

kritsm

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hello,
I just recently go certified as a diver and have had a canon 400d/xti kicking around for a few years. when i found an unbeatable deal on a hugyfot housing for my camera and a hartenberger 250ttl strobe i couldn't resist so I'm now a new diver with a new camera hoping to learn a lot.

#49 elitedivers

elitedivers

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:43 AM

HI, just purchased Canon EOS 7D, Ikelite Housing + 2 x DS161 Strobes.
Should have it in the water in the next 7 to 10 days :swimmingfish:

#50 divergirl

divergirl

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Went from Canon G11 to Nikon d70s in Nexus housing to Nikon d200 in Seacam housing with two Inon d2000 strobes, absolutely happy with it! Looking forward to a trip to Galapagos this year!! I've bought used equipment in wonderful condition which has allowed me to upgrade quite quickly.

#51 morrissey91

morrissey91

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

Hi there,

i am lover of snorkelling and scuba diving when ever i get time

i have always wanted to buy a decent UW camera setup however never had the money

i have recently bought a Nikon Coolpix S9100 http://mynikonlife.c...t-cameras/s9100
as a compact camera to take on vacation etc
i have found the camera to be excellent for scenic and zoom photos on land but i really want to find out whether it would be good to buy a housing for it so i can take some UW photos
or would i be better off buying a proper setup

the other thing is that i can only find one manurfacturer for a housing for my nikon http://www.ikelite.c.../nik_s9100.html

does anyone know of any others?

#52 wma

wma

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

Hi
Thought I'd refresh this topic for 2011.

The most asked question by any newbie is one that many ask or do research on. So in the tradition of Mr Wetpixel himself, we will (try) to restart this thread to give newbies the most up to date new rigs from members who have made the plunge themselves and why.
So members who have recently bought new rigs, please feel free to add your opinions and feedback on your rigs so that others may benefit from your knowledge. The more details the better.

For ease of reading and research for members, please refrain from off topic discussions
Thanks and happy shopping.

The older thread is here:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=24887

Just replying to this post so I can start a post.

#53 chuckdee

chuckdee

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

Hi
Thought I'd refresh this topic for 2011.

The most asked question by any newbie is one that many ask or do research on. So in the tradition of Mr Wetpixel himself, we will (try) to restart this thread to give newbies the most up to date new rigs from members who have made the plunge themselves and why.
So members who have recently bought new rigs, please feel free to add your opinions and feedback on your rigs so that others may benefit from your knowledge. The more details the better.

For ease of reading and research for members, please refrain from off topic discussions
Thanks and happy shopping.

The older thread is here:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=24887

noob here...just trying to reply to a topic so i can post. lol

#54 rzxrey

rzxrey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

noob here...just trying to reply to a topic so i can post. lol

Good job. You did it.

#55 tronage

tronage

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hello Everyone,
Just got back from Beneath the Sea tradeshow, and found out about this forum while attending an AMAZING workshop given by Michel Gilbert. I'm very new to photography UW, and want to start working up to a better system... Currently using a Sony DSC-TX5 inside a Sony MPK-THJ housing. The thought being that if the camera inside the case is also waterproof, then if/when it floods, the camera would be "Safer". After seeing all the goodies at BTS, I want to buy everything lol, however my wallet tends to disagree with me on that... So I'm looking to begin to upgrade (piece by piece if possible), so I'll be looking for some help in a later post (just replying here so I'll be able to post lol)

Take Care!
-Rob

Edited by tronage, 26 March 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#56 DivePalau

DivePalau

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Hi. New poster here.

Here's my rig I just bought (and am still assembling.)

Nikon D90
Nikon 60mm AF-D /w Tamron SP AF 1.4x teleconverter
Nikon 18-55
Ikelite housing

What I'm planning on buying:

Tokina fisheye
(2) Ikelite DS-161 Strobe
Ports for 60mm and tokina and maybe the 18-55?

#57 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

Hi. New poster here.

Here's my rig I just bought (and am still assembling.)

Nikon D90
Nikon 60mm AF-D /w Tamron SP AF 1.4x teleconverter
Nikon 18-55
Ikelite housing

What I'm planning on buying:

Tokina fisheye
(2) Ikelite DS-161 Strobe
Ports for 60mm and tokina and maybe the 18-55?

Hi,
How does the tamron TC go for Auto focusing with the nikon lens?
I am similar to you, but went the nikon D7000 in Aquatica housing and basically have the same strategy, start 60mm macro and grow out to the 10-17 fisheye( I am steering towards the YS-D1 sea n sea strobes however, preferring the Optical setup sea n sea has developed).

The 18-55 is a cheapy lens, why bother buying a port for it? - probably will work with your 60mm port anyhow, does it AF????
Hope your dives are safe and you camera is always dry,
Damon

#58 stivesbathroom02

stivesbathroom02

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

hi guyZ!!:))

#59 futureshock999

futureshock999

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:15 AM

As a pretty devout land photographer (for an amateur), I finally realised that it would be impossible to get an underwater case for my Gandalfi Universal 4x5" negative camera. I guess the whole one-shot thing pretty much ruined that idea as well - after all, it's really hard to change film holders underwater.

As a beginning diver, I also realised that I wanted to start small, but with good quality. I have an Oly E-3 DSLR and a suite of rather expensive lenses for it, but housings for it are hard to find, and it is large and heavy in it's magnesium case. Fortunately I have a much-loved Olympus XZ-1, which is my travel camera. Not to say that I wouldn't LOVE to have my 7-14mm lens underwater on the E-3, but you have to start somewhere.

So I just ordered the PT-050 housing from B&H, and am having it flown around the world to me in Australia. The goal is to get PADI certified in the next three weeks, and then I have just booked on Mike Ball's boat on the Great Barrier Reef for June. That might be a tad ambitious, but at my age you can't wait around. Not enough time left to play games. I do worry about getting to terms with the diving experience whilst trying to master a camera underwater, but I'll do the best I can - I bought a lanyard so I can always just drop it and concentrate on my diving if I need to. I will try to take the camera and housing into my building's pool for some trials before I leave, so that at least I have experience in the water with it. I also bought a Fantasea 44 LED light, that had some very good reviews both as a dive light and as a focus assist light, and comes with a mounting.

As a photographer (something I know a little bit more about than diving), I do recommend the XZ-1 as an EXCELLENT camera for someone wanting something smaller than a DSLR, but a much larger sensor than most compacts. With the JJC snap-open lens cover it is the best travel camera I have yet seen, and at least on land it's pictures can be stunning, in both RAW and jpeg. Additionally, it has a true pro-quality Zuiko lens with a f1.8 aperature, which makes it ideal for low-light situations underwater. I figure that even if I lose a stop to a red filter I am still in good shape. And the FT-050 seems a great value case to start out with - and I will likely shoot in manual mode much of the time anyway, so the Ikelight's TTL doesn't seem a huge advantage. YMMV, of course.

Wish me luck - I will probably need it...

#60 bugsy15

bugsy15

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

Hi all. Stepping up from a G10 with Ikelite housing!
Just bought a Canon 7D. I'm very close to buying the Nauticam housing. Does anyone have any thoughts about this housing? Good/Bad? Should I consider Subal or Sea&Sea?
Also... am thinking of getting the Canon 60mm macro lens and a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye. Should this have me covered? Also looking at the Sigma 10-20mm b/c it's easier to find here in Australia.
Finally, I currently have a DS-51 Ikelite strobe. I'm going to use that for a few months. But will probably upgrade to a 2nd flash in a few months. Thinking having the Ikelite paired with an Inon. Is this a good/bad idea?
Thanks for your feedback!
Jay

Hey Jay,
I've just bought a G10 (Canon housing) as my first underwater camera. Seeing as you've just upgraded from one was wondering if you had any tips on getting good shots out of it underwater. I'm fairly new at photography both above and below the water so I'm wondering if maybe I've started a little out of my depth!

Thanks,
Bugsy