• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jwood1

jwood1

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:37 PM

I have a Canon S90 and would like to get into underwater photography, mostly while snorkeling. My current thought is to get a DC35 housing ($175) and the Inon 28AD mount base ($89). This is still less than the Ikelite housing and I can get Inon AD lenses. Now, the most popular WA/Fisheye lens seems to be the Inon UWL 165AD ($459), but the recommended lens for the 28AD mount is the Inon UWL-100 28AD ($399). But this lens is only wide angle, and you would need the dome adaptor ($420) to make this a fisheye equivalent to the 165 AD lens. So, the UWL 165 AD is a much more econimical option. I have read a few posts that the UWL 165 AD will work with the S90-DC35-28AD adaptor combination and that all you need to do is to back off on the zoom to 35mm. Can anyone confirm this?

Another way of asking this, is what is the most economical fisheye/WA wet lens for the Canon S90 using either the Ikelite or Canon DC35 housing?

#2 PapaTango

PapaTango

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

The setup you describe is exactly what I use.165 AD lens works fine with the canon housing and inon adapter, its so close to the port its almost touching. Yes, zoom in to 35mm and you're good to go.

No experience of the other lens you mention, but I do know its heavy and expensive, although less prone to flare from what I've read.

Edited by PapaTango, 11 October 2011 - 12:19 PM.

#3 sjwhite26

sjwhite26

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

Hi

I have the Canon S90, the Canon housing and the Inon UWL-100 28AD (actually it arrived today!). I can't wait to try it out, my only concern now is lighting and the thought of losing it while diving! :)

sjwhite26

#4 BlurredPixel

BlurredPixel

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:03 AM

Hi

I have the Canon S90, the Canon housing and the Inon UWL-100 28AD (actually it arrived today!). I can't wait to try it out, my only concern now is lighting and the thought of losing it while diving! :)

sjwhite26

I don't know if you had the opportunity to try your new system yet but you're right the UWL-28AD will block the light of your internal strobe. But with such a lens it won't do a good job anyway. Your options are shooting with ambient light and custom white balance or preferably add an external strobe to your system like the YS-110 aplha or the Inon Z-240 of course you will also need a stay for your system.

I personally use a Powershot S-80 in a Canon housing with the Inon UW28AD and a YS-90DX strobe and I'm very pleased with the results. I also have the UWL-100 dome but I prefer using the UW28AD alone.

Hope this helps.

Clement