• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 adrefs

adrefs

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

The Canon 5D has a number of "Picture Style" presets, is there one that is best suited to UW video/photos?

#2 SParkinson

SParkinson

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:32 PM

"m" ^_^
Regards
Steve

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3014 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

I think what Steve is trying to say is that most of us shoot RAW so we can process the images as each one requires. Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation and Color Tone can all be changed in a program like Lightroom and give you better results than shooting Jpegs and guessing at the settings you will like.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

For video, I use Technicolor's Cinestyle. It's the flattest profile out there and they supply LUTs for color correction. The best for post work. You can download it.
Canon also supplies Picture Style Editor, which allows you to develop a look that's all your own.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 adrefs

adrefs

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

I think what Steve is trying to say is that most of us shoot RAW so we can process the images as each one requires. Sharpness, Contrast, Saturation and Color Tone can all be changed in a program like Lightroom and give you better results than shooting Jpegs and guessing at the settings you will like.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks, yours was a much better way to put it.

For video, I use Technicolor's Cinestyle. It's the flattest profile out there and they supply LUTs for color correction. The best for post work. You can download it.
Canon also supplies Picture Style Editor, which allows you to develop a look that's all your own.

Thanks Drew. I already have Cinestyle loaded so that's a big help. So you just white balance at depth and away you go...?

#6 MitHere

MitHere

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:56 PM

Thanks, yours was a much better way to put it.

Thanks Drew. I already have Cinestyle loaded so that's a big help. So you just white balance at depth and away you go...?

Unsure at white balancing video but obviously one of the good things about shooting still raws is adjusting white balance after.
Which is funny because I don't see the need when you're shooting with strobes approximately at daylight temps.
And I don't understand why you'd buy something like a 5D and want to use settings ^_^
UW - Canon Powershot G11 with Inon D4 baseplate, arms, Inon LE240, dual Inon S2000s, Inon lens caddy, dual Inon stackable macros, Dyron 67mm adaptor and Dyron 0.3x WA lens.
Topside - Camera with Lensmate 72mm adaptor and holder, 72mm Kenko Pro1D circular polariser and Velbon Sherpa 435R.

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:30 PM

No. Just leave it at Daylight. Easier to control.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#8 akvaplan

akvaplan

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:49 AM

No. Just leave it at Daylight. Easier to control.

Agree