• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mcliffy2

mcliffy2

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

Air Tahiti has some of the craziest carry on restrictions I've seen (cut and pasted below). 6 lbs and 17"x13" size limit.

I have the Think Tank Airport take off which is in compliance with rules almost everywhere, but not these as it is 21" x 14" (and will likely have 35+ lbs of gear in it). When I flew Air Cebu, I managed to carry it on with the "There is $10,000 worth of gear in there and you'll have to kill me to check it" approach. But there it was at least within the size limit. I know others here have probably flown Air Tahiti as it is the only way to get around French Polynesia -- any suggestions? As we all know checking the camera gear is not an option ^_^

Hand baggage in cabin:
- 1 baggage item that respects the following maximum dimensions: 45 cm x 35 cm x 20 cm (17 x 13 x 7) including pockets, wheels, and handles
- Maximum total weight: 3 kg (6.6 lb)
Any hand baggage exceeding this size will be checked-in and subject to the existing fares.
The passenger remains responsible for his baggage during all the flight.

#2 mcliffy2

mcliffy2

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

Air Tahiti has some of the craziest carry on restrictions I've seen (cut and pasted below). 6 lbs and 17"x13" size limit.

I have the Think Tank Airport take off which is in compliance with rules almost everywhere, but not these as it is 21" x 14" (and will likely have 35+ lbs of gear in it). When I flew Air Cebu, I managed to carry it on with the "There is $10,000 worth of gear in there and you'll have to kill me to check it" approach. But there it was at least within the size limit. I know others here have probably flown Air Tahiti as it is the only way to get around French Polynesia -- any suggestions? As we all know checking the camera gear is not an option ^_^

Hand baggage in cabin:
- 1 baggage item that respects the following maximum dimensions: 45 cm x 35 cm x 20 cm (17 x 13 x 7) including pockets, wheels, and handles
- Maximum total weight: 3 kg (6.6 lb)
Any hand baggage exceeding this size will be checked-in and subject to the existing fares.
The passenger remains responsible for his baggage during all the flight.

bump, figuring someone here has flown.

#3 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 222 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

I am going to Fiji this coming weekend on Air Pacific, their carry on is limited to 7 kilos or 15 pounds total. That has been causing a few restless nights of sleep trying to figure out how I will get my kit there in one piece. The last several trips I have taken close to 35 pounds of camera gear.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#4 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:16 PM

Do they charge extra for fat people? If not, that seems a tad unfair, unless they don't think the overhead lockers can take the weight.

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

Just check it. We checked our rebreathers, cameras and gear as freight. It's a turbo prop ATR (I think) so unless you buy a 2nd seat for your bag, a big bag is not going to fit in the cabin. Mind you, my info is a few years old. Just pack the backpack and bring a hardcase for it. If you are flying Air Tahiti Nui, they will use the PC system from the US. Pay for a 3rd piecem (depends on class I think).

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 foltjr

foltjr

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Reptiles and Amphibians, Photography, Diving

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Bump. What did the OP end up doing? Does anyone else have any input? I am going there in a month and also hoping to not have to check the bag.

Thanks,

Jason

#7 Gary.Makai

Gary.Makai

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

Been to Tahiti twice before, never had a problem on the international flight. I th French Polynesia, but if they are using ATRs then the cabin storage space is limited. they may be willing to gate check. good luck.

#8 foltjr

foltjr

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

The international flight via Air Tahiti Nui is no problem - typical regulations. The connecting plane to Bora Bora sounds like a little regional plane. As listed above the maximum weight is 3 kg for a carry on. I guess I am planning on having to gate check the gear, which doesn't make me too excited.

Thanks,

Jason

#9 mcliffy2

mcliffy2

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

It ended up being a non-issue. You walk onto the runway to board at every airport there (and Rangiroa and Fakarava were completely open air!). When you check your main bag, just tell them you want to hand check your think tank. When you walk on to the plane, you will hand them your bag, and they will give you a pink hand check tag. When you de-plane onto the runway, you'll get it back (before the regularly checked bags).

Edited by mcliffy2, 09 January 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#10 foltjr

foltjr

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

Thanks mcliffy2. Did they end up charging you excess baggage fees for hand checking it? I am sure that will put me way over my 44 lbs of allowed luggage. What a joke.

Thanks,

Jason

#11 mcliffy2

mcliffy2

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:59 AM

I believe I did have to pay some excess baggage fee for my checked bag, but I don't believe it was as high as in the U.S. The fee was per kg over, so not too bad. Also, I think there is a 2 kg allowance for dive gear that helps. I don't think they weighed my carry-ons.

Edited by mcliffy2, 05 February 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#12 foltjr

foltjr

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

I figured I would update this with my recent travel experience with Air Tahiti. As mentioned, there are pretty strict carry on baggage restrictions. I was prepared to pay the fee, $3 per kilo or something for my excess weight. I was also prepared to stuff stuff in my pockets, wear my camera around my neck, etc. In my experience, it wasn't  strictly enforced.

In Tahiti, we showed our dive cards to get the extra 5kg of weight. Both of our checked bags were exactly 50lbs. We were allowed 55lbs total checked weight with the dive cards. They wanted to immediately check my carry on with my housing and ports. I requested that I could hand check it, and they made me open it up to show them what was inside. They ended up letting me hand check it planeside after that. They did weigh it, and it was way over my remaining 5kgs of total weight, but they did not charge me. They never weighed my other carryon, a smallish backpack I tried to make look light. It contained my camera, 4-5 lens, an ereader, etc. They did weigh my wife's carryon. One of those bottomless pit looking shoulder bags. It was way over the 6 lb limit, but again they did not charge us.

The return trip was mostly the same, except they did not make me open up my carry on with the housing. 

If you plan on flying with them, I would prepare myself to pay the overage fees, as they are weighing things closely. If they don't charge you, then you have some extra drink money for the island. I wouldn't expect the free ride to continue.

Jason