22 replies to this topic

#21 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

Let's just say the Prelude concept of less functionality in general is a silly idea in my opinion with the exception of those invested folks I mentioned, no matter which camera is in it. Just my opinion of course. Any idea as to how well they are selling?

Jeff - I can't speak with great authority on the video aspects of the Seacam Prelude with the Canon 60D, although I did try it briefly with the whale sharks in Isla Mujares as per .

However, for stills photography, I haven't found a function on the Canon 60D I could not control via the Prelude housing. I don't think the concept is "less functionality", as you've stated, but rather an alternative way to achieve functionality. The camera navigates quite differently than the D7000. I think if you actually spent some time with the 60D and Prelude housing in the water, you'd intuitively see the logic of the controls.

Being a Seacam distributor I'll say no more on the subject, but if you happen to be diving Key Largo anytime in the near future, you are welcome to borrow my 60D and Seacam Prelude housing for a few days and experiment.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#22 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:20 PM

Any idea as to how well they are selling?

No idea. I just do field reports and reviews... market analysis I haven't done in many years! ;)

I will say I had the same feelings as you before I tried the housing properly. I still don't agree the entire design philosophy but after trying the Prelude, it's really the results that matter.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#23 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

I've finally put up the video. Sorry it took so long! :)

http://wetpixel.com/...-60d-review/P5/

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.