• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pmerc

pmerc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:27 AM

Small jellyfish subject (sorry I have not looked up the name yet).
Bell was about 10-12 mm
Image has been cropped a bit, some exposure adjustment, and quite a bit of backscatter removal.
I like the image but am unsure if it looks oversharpened, overprocessed, or too surreal.
The previous images are OK but this is the best of the set, however it does not show the characteristic aspect of the subject.
I was using some filters so the colours are a bit skewed.
I do however like the impression it gives of a little dancing man? Could be just me though.
;)

What do you think? I have not put an image out to the greater underwater community for C&C and only ask for honesty.
I upgraded to a DSLR (7D) about 18 months ago and feel like I am just starting to get the hang of this beast.

Cheers,
Phil Mercurio

IMG_0353_2.jpg

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:01 AM

Hi Phil,
At first blush I agree that the color looks a little off, maybe too saturated? It's tough to comment since I don't have a good frame of reference to the original colors. This type of image always looks so surreal it's hard to say when is too much. I do like it though, very good addition to anyones portfolio.

Where did you shoot the little guy?

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

Hi Phil!

I'm with Steve on this one! The green color (atleast on my screen it's electric green) is a bit too "alien like". Maybe You wanna post the original shot as well for color comparison?

Cheers
Karel
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#4 pmerc

pmerc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

Hi Guys, Thanks for the comments.
This was taken at Edithburgh jetty, South Australia.
This is the natural colour of the image taken with the filters I was using on the camera.
The green may reflect a little bit of fluorescence in the critter (*not too sure on that one), the blue has been an issue with a few of my other images and is probably reflectance.
To the naked eye, this would appear clear or clearish like other jellyfish or ctenophores.
Cheers,
Phil

#5 DerekB

DerekB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Freediving, climbing, gymnastics, hiking, Shark diving, photography, mnt boarding, surf photography.

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

I don't mind the color change. The underwater world is alien, and it's ok for the subjects ( especially jellyfish) to look alien.

My biggest critique is that it's not tack sharp. But it is a great image!

#6 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:53 AM

It may look alien.....it may look like its not really real......but I love it...and would love to see this image blown up to A3!!!
Well done!!
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#7 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:50 AM

These are such difficult critters to shoot, so congrats on getting an interesting shot. It is soft, however. I played with the Shadows and Highlights adjustment in order to try to tone down the blown out center. Without intention, the default setting for Shadows pulled in some details that IMO make the image "pop" more. I pulled it back a bit, and adjusted the Highlights slightly.

Cheers,
Marli

Attached Images

• post_22409_1319109784.jpg

Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#8 pmerc

pmerc

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

Thank you All for the C&C and kind words.
Marli thank you for having a play, I like the edits and agree with your comments.
I will check out the options you used, are you using Photoshop?
I did this in lightroom and am always a little hesitant to over sharpen...
Cheers,
Phil

#9 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

This adjustment was done in Photoshop CS5. There was no sharpening applied at all.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig