• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ExposureFish

ExposureFish

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

Hey guys! Got destroyed a couple weeks ago onto a shallow reef and my camera lens decided to break my fall. Needless to say the scratches were too heavy and noticeable for water to fill them in completely. I contacted Sean at SPL and it was going to be a $400 bill to get a new port. At that price I was seriously considering upgrading my in water surf setup to my 5d MKII instead of investing money in an outdated rig (canon 40d)... Until I found Micro Mesh!!!! It's just a sanding and buffing kit made for acrylics and it saved me $400 in exchange for just a couple hours of elbow grease. I buffed the entire port to make sure there wouldn't be any distortion and it worked like a charm. The kit number I got was NC-78-1. I ordered mine from www.micro-surface.com and it arrived in Hawaii within a week. I know I sound like one of those bad commercials on tv for oxyclean but hey, the product works, it saved me $400 bucks and extended the life of my 40d for in water photography (whether that's good or bad is a whole different story). Just thought I would share my experiences with a scratched port and hopefully we can continue this thread with other peoples experiences on fixes. Stay safe in the water!

-Kyle

www.exposurefish.com

#2 3quid

3quid

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

The kit number I got was NC-78-1. I ordered mine from www.micro-surface.com and it arrived in Hawaii within a week.

Hi,

I can't find that product on their website. Is there any chance you can send me a link to it? I think I could do with some of that stuff!

Cheers!

#3 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

Need a refurb of my dome too.

Just got this from an Ebay vendor http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649. Arrived in 2 days
and am about to order this http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2661.

Might be a better option as you are in the UK.

#4 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

I found the Novus is great for light scratches but from what I understand the Micro Mesh is the go for deeper ones.

There's a Pinned Thread about dome scratch repairs it includes some photos and video from members showing the process.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#5 lbrowne

lbrowne

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:17 AM

I've never thought of this before, but now I'm wondering if those headlight kits for cars might work for light scratches too? I have a simple one on the shelf in the garage... time to experiment on the headlights first. I hadn't heard of Micro Mesh before... thanks for the info.

Edited by lbrowne, 10 November 2011 - 08:18 AM.

#6 matt2020

matt2020

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Its been a while since you might not have solved this, but I am selling my SPL housing (for 5DMKII) and ports (fisheye port, 16-35mm with zoom), pistol grip and any other accessories that came with it.

The housing is in perfect condition and has only been used in a fresh water pool (expected to be able to use it in the surf but turned out there was no surf).

If you are interested let me know. I have not decided on the price yet but even though all items are as new I will be giving a good discount.

SPL housings are extremely strong and very light. I like it so it is a shame to sell it, but have decided to sell now, so this is good opportunity for someone wanting to upgrade.

Cheers
Matt