• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ExposureFish

ExposureFish

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

Hey guys! Got destroyed a couple weeks ago onto a shallow reef and my camera lens decided to break my fall. Needless to say the scratches were too heavy and noticeable for water to fill them in completely. I contacted Sean at SPL and it was going to be a $400 bill to get a new port. At that price I was seriously considering upgrading my in water surf setup to my 5d MKII instead of investing money in an outdated rig (canon 40d)... Until I found Micro Mesh!!!! It's just a sanding and buffing kit made for acrylics and it saved me $400 in exchange for just a couple hours of elbow grease. I buffed the entire port to make sure there wouldn't be any distortion and it worked like a charm. The kit number I got was NC-78-1. I ordered mine from www.micro-surface.com and it arrived in Hawaii within a week. I know I sound like one of those bad commercials on tv for oxyclean but hey, the product works, it saved me $400 bucks and extended the life of my 40d for in water photography (whether that's good or bad is a whole different story). Just thought I would share my experiences with a scratched port and hopefully we can continue this thread with other peoples experiences on fixes. Stay safe in the water!

-Kyle

www.exposurefish.com

#2 3quid

3quid

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:38 AM

The kit number I got was NC-78-1. I ordered mine from www.micro-surface.com and it arrived in Hawaii within a week.

Hi,

I can't find that product on their website. Is there any chance you can send me a link to it? I think I could do with some of that stuff!

Cheers!

#3 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

Need a refurb of my dome too.

Just got this from an Ebay vendor http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649. Arrived in 2 days
and am about to order this http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2661.

Might be a better option as you are in the UK.

#4 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

I found the Novus is great for light scratches but from what I understand the Micro Mesh is the go for deeper ones.

There's a Pinned Thread about dome scratch repairs it includes some photos and video from members showing the process.

Cheers,
Jim.

Underwater Images   My portfolio on Redbubble   Topside Nature Images

In between housings, Nikon, 60mm, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#5 lbrowne

lbrowne

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:17 AM

I've never thought of this before, but now I'm wondering if those headlight kits for cars might work for light scratches too? I have a simple one on the shelf in the garage... time to experiment on the headlights first. I hadn't heard of Micro Mesh before... thanks for the info.

Edited by lbrowne, 10 November 2011 - 08:18 AM.

#6 matt2020

matt2020

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Its been a while since you might not have solved this, but I am selling my SPL housing (for 5DMKII) and ports (fisheye port, 16-35mm with zoom), pistol grip and any other accessories that came with it.

The housing is in perfect condition and has only been used in a fresh water pool (expected to be able to use it in the surf but turned out there was no surf).

If you are interested let me know. I have not decided on the price yet but even though all items are as new I will be giving a good discount.

SPL housings are extremely strong and very light. I like it so it is a shame to sell it, but have decided to sell now, so this is good opportunity for someone wanting to upgrade.

Cheers
Matt