#1 blueline

blueline

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Scuba/Underwater photography

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

Hello,

I have an MDX-40D housing that have not serviced since purchased 3 - 3 1/2 yrs ago. It is stored since last February. I am planning to put it in the water again, so my question is, do the o-rings on the housing need to be replaced(I believe there's one on the back panel, one on top right side.) I usually test at a pool for leaks etc, but want to make sure.

Thanks.
Will dive for Molluscs.

Sea & Sea MDX-40D, Canon 60mm, Kenko 1.4x TC, 28-135mm(topside), Sigma 18-50mm, Tokina 11-16mm, ULCS, Inon D-2000W, Fix 500DX light.

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 2985 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:02 AM

Hi partner,
Sea & Sea recommends o-ring maintenance annually. I push it to every two years based on the conditions I normally dive in (no sand or gunk). Three years is pushing it. If I was in Florida I'd take my housing over to Reef Photo and ask them to go through it fo me. It's all the internal o-rings I'd be worried about. The first one to start to leak is usually the shutter release since it gets more rotational wear.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 blueline

blueline

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Scuba/Underwater photography

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

Hi partner,
Sea & Sea recommends o-ring maintenance annually. I push it to every two years based on the conditions I normally dive in (no sand or gunk). Three years is pushing it. If I was in Florida I'd take my housing over to Reef Photo and ask them to go through it fo me. It's all the internal o-rings I'd be worried about. The first one to start to leak is usually the shutter release since it gets more rotational wear.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Steve! That's what I was thinking, next time I'll be down there for a shore dive, I'll take it to them. I completely forgot about the shutter, plus haven't used it in over a year.
Will dive for Molluscs.

Sea & Sea MDX-40D, Canon 60mm, Kenko 1.4x TC, 28-135mm(topside), Sigma 18-50mm, Tokina 11-16mm, ULCS, Inon D-2000W, Fix 500DX light.