• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

Just finished watching the 1st episode of the Frozen Planet. I have to say Jamie's shots of the Orca were awesome! And those penguin surfing slomos! Simply magnificent! Congrats Beebs crew! There are very cool setups with timelapse under the ice by Hugh Miller and Doug Anderson too.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

Ouh man... Now I really need to see this!! ;)
My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses

#3 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

I agree, it was great. The Orcas and timelapse were great. A good friend of mine, Mateo Willis shot some of the glaciar timelapse topside. Can't wait for next week's episode.
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#4 Elainew

Elainew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

Yep, just finished watching it. Superlative. Loved the sea lion and penguin sequence.

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

Oh, I am going to download this from the iPlayer and watch it. Thanks for the heads up - miss the promo for these things not being in the UK.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#6 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

It was very impressive watching it in HD and the timelapse sequences were especially magical. The Beeb at her best. ;)

#7 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:49 PM

Don't forget to watch Freeze Frame, the behind the scenes program that comes after the main program.

One thing I just realized is that Sir David is 85 years old and traveling to the poles! I hope I'm that active at that age... IF I make it there!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#8 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:58 PM

One thing I just realized is that Sir David is 85 years old and traveling to the poles! I hope I'm that active at that age... IF I make it there!

Amazing what you can do with Green screen ... ;)

Yes it was an awesome prog and why I do not mind the licence fee...

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#9 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:38 AM

Oh, I am going to download this from the iPlayer and watch it. Thanks for the heads up - miss the promo for these things not being in the UK.

Alex

Hello Alex! how do you get to download it from the iPlayer outside of the UK? I would love to watch it but I get "Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only" ;)
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#10 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:36 AM

I thought it was brilliant. Am I glad we installed a new big LED HDTV on that very day! A wonderful effort by the Beeb (especially after their last less than riveting attempts with Paul Rose and Britain's Secret Seas).

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site

#11 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2139 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:18 AM

Just....

.... wow!

It's not really fair to compare it to the low-budget productions: this is elite TV. It is astounding: more beautiful images in fifty minutes than a Moderator's slideshow!

The snow-covered trees at the edge of the taiga were amazing, and the orca were stunning but the scenes in the sea below Mt Erebus were sublime, indescribable, haunting...

Tim

;)

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:56 AM

Tim, which moderator has a 50 min slide show? That would be zzzzz

Drew

#13 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World. The Sciences

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:43 PM

still waiting to find out to utilize iplayer outside the UK........

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)

#14 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Richard you just need an IP in the UK. It's pretty easy. I do it with a Slingbox.

Drew

#15 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:24 AM

Ok is it me or was there a sophomore slump in "Spring"? Can't wait for summer and the hunting of minkes!

Drew

#16 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World. The Sciences

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

Thanks Drew

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)

#17 Harry Remmington

Harry Remmington

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:22 AM

Don't forget to watch Freeze Frame, the behind the scenes program that comes after the main program.

You might not get "Freeze Frame" in the USA.
Discovery Channel who pay part of the production, have a 50 minutes slot plus commercials to make up the 60 minute [hour]
As BBC dont have Ad. breaks they decided to make up the hour by adding the "Making of"
David A. did actually go on most of the locations to shoot the links.

#18 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:20 AM

I watch it through Slingbox HDDVR. I like the making of sometimes more than the show itself.

Drew

#19 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:11 AM

Anyone catch Freeze Frame last night? Doug's encounter with those Orca makes me think twice about getting in the water with them in the Antarctic during feeding!

Drew

#20 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:15 AM

I watched the first one last night. Which I really enjoyed. Still trying to catch up on the rest of the series. Will connect my VPN later and download the latest too.

I wish the iPlayer had a more official way of doing this. I pay my BBC licence fee - but I travel a lot - and believe I should be allowed to watch the BBC when I am away - since I still pay for it, whether I am there or not.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).