• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

I have been searching over the internet and all I can find is that it is possible but there is some retrofitting involved. But when I look at the retrofitting it seems if it is just necessary to be able to use all of the buttons. My question is, if I get the 5d housing for my 5d ii (ikelite) will it fit properly? If so, what functions will I lose? Any information that can be provided would be appreciated. I have searched this forum but could not find anything so I apologize in advance if the question has been asked before.
Jim

#2 cpadiver

cpadiver

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:50 AM

I think you will find that the two cameras are very different and thus to the extent you can get the MKII in the housing, you have very limited functionality. I think the differences are so large that no one has really undertaken the effort with much, if any success.

I would suggest you look a the 5D MKII review on dpreview. They have a body comparison and you can see how much the buttons have moved. Memory tells me the MKII has a larger LCD as well.

Good luck on your efforts, I am sure there are others that would be interested in the success that you have.

#3 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

Hi,

Yes, the modification can be done. I've done it, and have access to nearly all the controls (certainly all the important ones). There was a thread on it here a couple of years ago, and I explained how it was done. I can't seem to find it now though. It does require some machining, adding new buttons and modifying existing controls, so you need to be confident with making new holes in the housing and adding watertight controls. If anyone else can find the thread, please add the link!
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#4 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:51 AM

Here you go- this is the thread: in the DIY forum.
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#5 team2jnd

team2jnd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

Here you go- this is the thread: in the DIY forum.

That is exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you so much. I am a little bit apprehensive because I have never drilled plastics before but I figure if it will save me 1400$ its worth a shot. If you have any more tips I would really appreciate it. Also, will TTL still function? Thank you again you have been a huge help.
Jim