6 replies to this topic

#1 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

Hello,

I just discovered that one of my images was used in multiple NWF blogs without my knowledge or consent. What's troubling is that although they credited the image to me it also says "Courtesy SharkWeek," which appears to be Discovery Channel's Shark Week, whom I would never allow to use one of my photos. I do agree with the spirit of the blog post, but my images specify "All Rights Reserved" and I do not want them used without consent. Did Discovery Channel steal the image as well? Does anyone have any idea who I can contact about this? I cannot find any contact info for the blog writers, and the NWF contact page does not appear to be the appropriate way to contact them. I am also unable to leave a comment on that blog page.

Here are the articles: http://blog.nwf.org/...amazed-by-them/
http://blog.nwf.org/...ate-shark-week/
and here's my Flickr page: http://www.flickr.co...157623140150937

Thanks,
Gina

Edited by gina, 28 October 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3055 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Hi Gina,
It appears this lady wrote the article and put your images in it.
http://blog.nwf.org/...nielle.brigida/

"She can be found on Twitter as @starfocus (and @NWF) as well as many other social sites. She loves sharing her love for wildlife (and other peoples images), science and nature."

Might be the place to start?

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:38 AM

Have you tried putting the image into Google Image Search? This link explains all...I have just run a search on your image and its been found twice using this method. I don't know how long this kind of link survives, but have a look here.

If you regularly use GIS, be prepared to find your images in the strangest of locations and for purposes you never imagined...I'm finding mine in all sorts of places, and right now have a four figure infringement claim about to drop for one image used online without a license.

GIS is perhaps the best tool to give photographers a chance at finding their work and then claiming the fees due. Suddenly there are fewer and fewer places to hide...perhaps only paywalls will keep GIS out.

Finally, I would recommend to everyone that they register their images with the US Copyright Office. Without registration, photographers can only claim what they would have charged...but with registration the statutory damages awarded are sufficient to get a lawyer interested to work on contingency.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 02:11 AM

The page has contact info at the bottom:

National Wildlife Federation | 11100 Wildlife Center Dr, Reston VA 20190 | 703-438-6000 1-800-822-9919

Send a bill.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

Thank you every one for your help and advice. I will be billing NWF for their use of my image. Assuming they cough up the cash, this will be the first image I've "sold." Hrmpf, not exactly the joyous occasion I had hoped for :)

-Gina

#6 Grayscale

Grayscale

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

Any response?

#7 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

Any response?

Not yet. I emailed a letter + invoice to the author of the original article, and also snail mailed the same info to the accounts payable department. I haven't heard back from either, but I'll give the accts. dept. a couple more weeks before I follow up with a phone call.

-Gina