Photo
- - - - -

Where do i get a new gland for a new control for my housing?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kubestudio

kubestudio

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:48 AM

Hi,

i continue with the adaptation of my Nx90Z for a d300..

as i said the space in the housing is made, and the camera fits in.

i have the shutter release solved, and now im working on the main dial control (on the back of the camera)

trying to adapt the top control for the F90 dial into the d300 failed in any single way, i couldnt manage to get any gears to make it work, as the space is too tight, and it was getting me mad.

So i changed my idea, and im going to use a drill that its already made on the housing, and covered by a big screw with the model label on it.

Posted Image

this black circle has been unscrewd and now i have a hole witch i think has the size of the top left gland on this photo... i still have to manage to measure it, but is there anyway to get Sea & sea parts?

if not, my other option will be to remove one of the glands of another control wich is not going to be used and put it back there, and then seal the empty one somehow.

with a good circle and the proper pressure on the back of the camera, i will be able to rotate the main dial as they do with all the new housings.

Another question, how do i remove one of this Glands? they look like they are bolts but they have like 2 small holes on the top of the bolt at both sides of the gland. Is there any special tool or i just have to turn them hard hard hard?

thanks.

#2 Harry Remmington

Harry Remmington

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:09 AM

The two small holes are to allow a two pin bar tool to unscrew it - it would be a right hand thread so turn anti-clock to undo it.
Probably a lot cheaper to get someone with a lathe to turn a copy of the one you removed - use stainless steel or aluminium bar - S/S is better as you would need to get the Ali anodised to stop corrosion.

Hi,

i continue with the adaptation of my Nx90Z for a d300..

as i said the space in the housing is made, and the camera fits in.

i have the shutter release solved, and now im working on the main dial control (on the back of the camera)

trying to adapt the top control for the F90 dial into the d300 failed in any single way, i couldnt manage to get any gears to make it work, as the space is too tight, and it was getting me mad.

So i changed my idea, and im going to use a drill that its already made on the housing, and covered by a big screw with the model label on it.

Posted Image

this black circle has been unscrewd and now i have a hole witch i think has the size of the top left gland on this photo... i still have to manage to measure it, but is there anyway to get Sea & sea parts?

if not, my other option will be to remove one of the glands of another control wich is not going to be used and put it back there, and then seal the empty one somehow.

with a good circle and the proper pressure on the back of the camera, i will be able to rotate the main dial as they do with all the new housings.

Another question, how do i remove one of this Glands? they look like they are bolts but they have like 2 small holes on the top of the bolt at both sides of the gland. Is there any special tool or i just have to turn them hard hard hard?

thanks.

#3 kubestudio

kubestudio

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:25 AM

Is this the tool you talking about??

Posted Image

my local hardware stores don't know anything like this, i may have to try a watch shop?? but will that resist enough?

On the workshop they had a tool used to open the half circles that lock some bolts, im not sure this will work..

anyway that tool was 20euros so not sure its worth it just for one use!

#4 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:45 AM

Sounds like you need what we call a spanner wrench. They come in different shapes & sizes to fit most anything. Google to see whats available. The "watch opener" above is type of spanner, which may or may not work in your case.
Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#5 kubestudio

kubestudio

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

its hard to find this kind of tool in my island, but i found something wich worked so far...

i will post a resume of what i done so far and what is left ( wich is a lot ) but it seems like i will be able to have control of both dials, shutter and a few more buttons of the d300 on this housing.. i wish i bought something slightly bigger like a housing for an N100 or something like that, or maybe ikelite that seem to be a bit bigger.

now i think im done making space in the inside and its time to make the controls and adaptations wich may take a good while...

#6 Harry Remmington

Harry Remmington

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:04 AM

Bend a suitable nail into a U shape and file location pins as required - use mole grips to twist

its hard to find this kind of tool in my island, but i found something wich worked so far...

i will post a resume of what i done so far and what is left ( wich is a lot ) but it seems like i will be able to have control of both dials, shutter and a few more buttons of the d300 on this housing.. i wish i bought something slightly bigger like a housing for an N100 or something like that, or maybe ikelite that seem to be a bit bigger.

now i think im done making space in the inside and its time to make the controls and adaptations wich may take a good while...