Sola 1200 versus Fisheye Fix500

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:26 AM

Using my 7Ds, I've been shooting more video recently and am planning to get a Bluefin OLED with either a Fathom 90 or maybe the new 135 ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) angle lens. I'll be using this rig to film technical divers in fairly dark conditions so a couple of lamps will be required.

I already own a couple of Fisheye Fix500s which I normally use for stills focus lamps on my NA-7Ds and have used them recently as video lights. Looking at the L&M comparison page (http://www.uwimaging.../sola1200v.html) it seems as though the performance of the FX500 is very similar to the Sola 1200 but nowhere near as good as the Sola 4000.

Would I see a benefit in the Sola 1200 over the Fix500? Whilst the illumination of the Sola 4000 is excellent (I handled one in the flesh at the recent NEC dive show), the price tag is eye-wateringly expensive. Which alternatives should I be considering?

Many thanks in advance for your kind advice. Tim

Edited by Timmoranuk, 29 October 2011 - 11:48 AM.

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:44 PM

If you are diving locally without flying, look at 2nd hand halogen or HID lights. They can possibly pump more light than even the 4000 for 1/2 the price.

One more thing to consider shooting in low light is that camcorders will have a lot more noise than your 7D, plus your shadows will have more noise as well. What's lacking in the 7D (besides 12 min limit) and AF during recording (which is never a good idea?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 30 October 2011 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for your input Drew. Yes, most of my filming will be local but its always good to have a travel friendly rig isn't it?

Thank you too for pointing up the low light limitations of camcorders to this video 'newbee'. Maybe I need to dig deeper and consider a higher specification rig? In which case, I expect Messrs Gates may need to have my name on a housing...

If I do take the step of a higher specification rig, no doubt the size and weight will increase (as well as the price!) in which case umbilical video lights may be an appropriate consideration. However if I decide to stay with plan A (the L&M Bluefin), self-contained lamps would be the desirable option.

I took a look at the Green Force Squids at the recent NEC dive show as I already own a couple of GF Fun Star battery packs. However I was advised that as these battery packs run on 8 x NiMh AAs (9.6 volt) the power of the Squid light heads would be reduced to about 85% of their (12 volt) potential. The performance of the Squid with either Hybrid 8 or Flexi II battery packs seems fairly good at around 120 degree coverage and 1500 lumens which is certainly an improvement on the Sola 1200. It would be good to know from anyone who has used this lighting option.

Edited by Timmoranuk, 30 October 2011 - 04:27 AM.

· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#4 Long John Silver

Long John Silver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 06:12 AM

Thank you too for pointing up the low light limitations of camcorders to this video 'newbee'. Maybe I need to dig deeper and consider a higher specification rig? In which case, I expect Messrs Gates may need to have my name on a housing...

As drew already asked. What your current 7D + nauticam housing is missing for your task?

Bye