Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#2 adobedavid

adobedavid

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 08:49 PM

Hey Dave... really great photos! Where were they taken? I'm guessin BC?

-David
www.diveseen.com

#3 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2275 posts

Posted 28 May 2002 - 09:50 PM

Thanks. All of them taken in the Northern Channel Isds of Califorina. Some of them at Richardsons rock which is actually west of Pt Conception and hence in the CA-Oregon marine ecosystem (I hope I said that right). What that means is essentially the same marine life as northen Pacific coast of N. America up to B.C. . That may be why they look like they are from B. C.

All images are essentilly Jpeg raw with only a little sharpening as I didn't have the sharpening on in the camera and a slight adjustment of the midzone levels. I present them as they are so you can see what the camera can do. The detail is not as good as the original images. Perhaps as a result of switching back to a downsized Jpeg file? On allmost all the images the histogram was classic mountain shape. I was very suprised. I almost never scan an UW image with as good a histogram. I think I still need to work on the white balance. All of these were on white Autobalance.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

My Website

#4 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 05:24 PM

Outstanding pictures! Are you using auto exposure (P) or another option? Also, what strobe are you using?

#5 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2275 posts

Posted 03 June 2002 - 06:19 PM

All shot on manual exposure with 2 DS 125 strobes. Some with a dual synch cord, some with the TTL DS slave. Most shot with the external speed light varible output dialed down to -2. All shot TTL (which is not true TTL but you see works fine). Only thing I had problems with was close macro. Had to back off the strobes a foot or 2 or they would burn out the subject. I had no problems if the subject was 6 in or more away from the front of the dome port. I think this was because with the 19 mm lens you are focusing virtualy on the front of the lens (when shooting very close macro) and I think the TTL can't shut off fast enough. Most macro shot at 500 sec. shutter speed. The wide angle shots anywhere from 15 th sec. to 250 th sec. I used center weighted metering. I used auto focus for all without a focusing light. The camera was set to macro focus for all photos. Even the extreme wide angle. I used auto WB for all shots

[Edited on 6-4-2002 by davephdv]

My Website

#6 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 June 2002 - 03:13 AM

Do you prefer the synch cord or the TTL DS slave. Does the 125 come with a modeling light? Did you try the exposure bracketing or Best shot option? This camera has so many options.

#7 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2275 posts

Posted 04 June 2002 - 04:55 PM

All shots TTL without bracketing. This is because I wanted to see what the camera will do. When I have a better handle on what camera settings to use I will probably bracket using exposure compensation. Both dual cord and slave sensor work fine. Because you have to back off for very close macro with the 19mm lens I had a little trouble lining up the slave for those shots. The DS 125 has a spotting light good enough to use as your main light on night dives. I don't use it for spotting much as I want more freedom to "feather" my strobes when I shoot. Note all the close n wide shots (the sea fans) were shot TTL. I would never try this with a film camera as the foreground is always burned out when you do this (I always shoot manual). I was surprised that that you could do this with the 5000 and get good exposures. Of course these were done in poor vis (5 to 15 ft). Not in Cozumel.

My Website

#8 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 05:27 PM

David, James & Marc,

Let me know what you think about the below options for the cp 5000 with the 19 mm lens and a DS 125 corded.

Exposure - Manual
White Balance -Auto
Metering- Matrix
Image Adjustment -Auto
Saturation Control
Lens - Wide Adapter (19m)
Exposure Options AE lock
Focus Area Mode -Auto
Image sharpening - Auto
Noice Reduction - Off
ISO - 100
Zoom Options Fixed Aperture

Speedlight Cntrl - Auto
Speed Light Variable Power Opt. -2( this is not possible if the Lens option is set to Wide? Did you set yours lens to wide?

SIze 2560 - Res Fine

#9 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2275 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 06:23 PM

What I use that differs from what you posted:
1. Function key set to WB. Usually leave it on auto, but I may whip through the choices to see if another WB looks better (i.e. cloudy)

Metering, spot or center weighted

Image adjustment low.

No change in the lens. I leave it on normal lens for the 19 mm

manual focus mode area

image sharpening low.

Exposure Options set to autofocus lock.

Like you I use manual exposure. I like to know my F stop and shutter speed. Though using Aperature priority makes sense

My Website

#10 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 06:45 PM

Take II

Exposure - M or A
White Balance - Auto
Metering- Center weighted or Spot
Image Adjustment -Less Contrast
Saturation Control (I would assume low)
Lens - Normal
Exposure Options AE lock
Focus Area Mode = Manual (Need to look this one up)
Image sharpening -Low
Noice Reduction - Off
ISO - 100
Zoom Options Fixed Aperture
Speedlight Cntrl - Auto
Speed Light Variable Power Opt. -2

#11 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 06:50 PM

I moved this to the main forum, I can't delete so please just ignore.

Thanks

http://www.wetpixel....ead.php?tid=522

#12 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2275 posts

Posted 24 June 2002 - 06:51 PM

I leave saturation and contrast controls normal. Any such changes I make in PS. All those image adjusting options I leave at normal or low and make adjustments in PS. Otherwise what you posted the second time is mostly what I do. I am always experimenting (watch you air if you do this UW). I like manual focus senor selection because it gives you more creative control over framing you shot.

My Website