Lightroom 3.5 and Photoshop elements 6.0

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hi folks,

A wee bit confused here...will describe this as best I can.

When I started developing my photos a few years back, I solely used Photoshop elements 6.0
When I shot in RAW, I would use photoshop elements 6.0's basic RAW programme, do some tweaks, then open the RAW in Elements 6.0, and do other tweaks, then save my tweaked and cleaned up image as a jpeg (but would still keep the RAW too mind).

In the last two months I have moved to use Lightroom and purchased a copy.
If I develope a RAW file in Lightroom 3.5, and then want to do further tweaking of it in Photoshop elements 6.0 eg. cloning/healing etc. Lightroom makes me export the RAW as a 16bit TIFF or PSD to Photoshop elements 6.0.

When I do this, and Photoshop elements 6.0 opens, as soon as I try to do anything with the image. I get an error message saying I have to convert the bit depth to 8bit.

Also, when I do this, and then want to re-save the PSD or TIFF as a JPEG, it only lets me save this as a JPEG 2000, as opposed to a JPEG.

I readily admit I am not the best person in the world when it comes to the finer points of processing my digital images, and I dont see myself as being very fluent with the whole process either. :-D
Im just wondering tho'..... is this a problem to begin with...or could someone tell me why this is happening?
I'm also wondering do I need to upgrade my elements software to version 9.0 or 10.0, so the interface between my Lightroom and Photoshop elements?

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks :-)
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1581 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

Hi folks,

A wee bit confused here...will describe this as best I can.

When I started developing my photos a few years back, I solely used Photoshop elements 6.0
When I shot in RAW, I would use photoshop elements 6.0's basic RAW programme, do some tweaks, then open the RAW in Elements 6.0, and do other tweaks, then save my tweaked and cleaned up image as a jpeg (but would still keep the RAW too mind).

In the last two months I have moved to use Lightroom and purchased a copy.
If I develope a RAW file in Lightroom 3.5, and then want to do further tweaking of it in Photoshop elements 6.0 eg. cloning/healing etc. Lightroom makes me export the RAW as a 16bit TIFF or PSD to Photoshop elements 6.0.

When I do this, and Photoshop elements 6.0 opens, as soon as I try to do anything with the image. I get an error message saying I have to convert the bit depth to 8bit.

Also, when I do this, and then want to re-save the PSD or TIFF as a JPEG, it only lets me save this as a JPEG 2000, as opposed to a JPEG.

I readily admit I am not the best person in the world when it comes to the finer points of processing my digital images, and I dont see myself as being very fluent with the whole process either. :-D
Im just wondering tho'..... is this a problem to begin with...or could someone tell me why this is happening?
I'm also wondering do I need to upgrade my elements software to version 9.0 or 10.0, so the interface between my Lightroom and Photoshop elements?

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks :-)

Lightroom does all of its work non-destructively i.e. it does not actually change your image but rather it saves the commands that make the changes. You do need to export your pic to work in any other program. Elements 6 is only partially 16 bit ready, no curves or layers in 16 bit mode. If you can't make the changes you need in LR then your best bet is to upgrade to elements 10. I think the upgrade is $80 or so unless you are a student where it will be less. The problem is that elements 6 is from 2007, long before LR 3 came out. I don't use elements 10 but it is supposed to be much more LR friendly. From what you are seeing, I think there is no problem but things are working as designed and Adobe just didn't make LR backward compatible with elements from 4 generations ago.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net