• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

I saw a comment from Vincent saying that the C300 is better than Alexa? What is he on, obviously the Canon payroll :)

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#22 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

I'm not sure where you read that comment but based on his gushings about the camera at the show, I'd assume he's talking about ISO noise. I saw ISO16k in one of those films on a 60ft screen... it wasn't clean but it's very nice. The noise is very filmic and not like the chroma noise of some other cameras. The Alexa is very nice, but the C300 really does well with noise. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the new low noise camera for this year. I can't say if it's better definitively, but it sure looks nice and is up there with the big boys.
PS: Vince is undeniably a Canon man, but I don't think he's nuts on this one. His story lines on his shorts however, need work! Sorry Vince!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#23 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:40 PM

Maybe, also the quote was probably about 10th hand via some dodgy blog so I'm sure it wasn't word for word.
Hell of a lot smaller than and cheaper than Alexa though, the noise does look good on it though.

www.ginclearfilm.com

#24 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

Here is the making of video

[vimeohd]31526888[/vimeohd]

1000 posts, that's pretty scary

Edited by Drew, 09 November 2011 - 11:06 AM.

www.ginclearfilm.com

#25 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

Wow, apparently it's got a lot of broadcast people very excited. I mean it's broadcast approved straight out of the box. And that iphone/ipad app is SO COOL! Not that wifi will work well in an Aluminum housing but in a polycarbonate, it could be useful.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#26 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:01 AM

If anyone wondered why the 4K S35 sensor in the C300 produces only 1080p here is the reason why:-

http://learn.usa.can...graphers.shtml#

Clever way of using the 2160 X 3840 pixels into RGB processing similar to 3 chip system.

Minimal rolling shutter, virtually no Moire, high ISO.... all you need is one of those nice cine-lenses and a deep pocket. I love to try one on a 3D rig. That would be two times very deep pockets.

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#27 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:10 AM

David, the sensor is not 4k. 4k =4096 pixels. But yes the problem is they left out 1080/60p and dual system. Native ISO is 850. The noise level on this is right up there with the best but by spec it sure doesn't sound impressive for being over $16k.

Drew

#28 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

Canon released a FAQ for the C300. Love the way they are trying to answer the criticisms though.

http://learn.usa.can...maEOS_faq.shtml

Especially how they sidestep the 444 question! :B):

Drew

#29 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:09 PM

Here's Adam Wilt's coverage of the Canon event, including a pic of the Gates housing for the C300 (Sidenote: What's it gonna be called, John? Deep C? :B):)

Provideo Coalition coverage of Canon Cinema EOS event

I do regret not having my camera, which is rarely ever away from me. Sorry.

Drew

#30 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

David, the sensor is not 4k. 4k =4096 pixels. But yes the problem is they left out 1080/60p and dual system. Native ISO is 850. The noise level on this is right up there with the best but by spec it sure doesn't sound impressive for being over $16k.

So its Quad HD then...LOL

IMHO it will be great camera for bread and butter production work only if it could be under 16K.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#31 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:26 AM

Oh definitely it's a nice camera and many will want it for broadcast work and even feature A/B/C cams. The MXF codec and 1080p will do well. Canon's pricing is right for the market they want to enter. Specwise, it's just above the F3, but is smaller sized and shooting 422. I do think the "complaints" about cost are those who are shooting DSLR. They were hoping for a Canon version of the FS100 with 422. Right now, if there will be a model under the C300, it'd be pretty hard to spec that much under the C300 and remain useful!
The problem is the $16k isn't set. At the event, they said $20k. I was figuring a 20% street price drop as did many people.

Drew

#32 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:19 AM

http://www.bjp-onlin...-camera-created
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#33 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1749 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 05:09 AM

Hi all,

I've just posted about a film by Jonathan Yi testing the C300 onto the front page:

http://wetpixel.com/...canon-eos-c300/

It is done in a somewhat humorous style, but seems quite an interesting view.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#34 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

Loved it ... Informative and hilarious, if I had the money I'd buy one and the lenses ;)

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#35 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

Brilliant!

www.ginclearfilm.com

#36 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

Canon isn't holding holding back with promoting the Cinema EOS line. They paid Ron Howard to produce a movie based on a still picture, back in May called Imagin8ion. Bryce Dallas Howard (Ron's daughter) was the director and shot this while pregnant.

Sorry I didn't add this earlier but I saw this last month and didn't know about the youtube premier since I threw out the Canon email (Sorry Tim! :)). The C300 was used for most of the scenes, with support from 5D2, T2i etc. This film was better scripted, even though it worked about 8 still shots to make the story. All the other show films @ the Canon event lacked a good story but this one did not.

Here's the trailer and look for it to be back on Youtube once it does the rounds at the film fests:

http://www.youtube.com/imagination

[youtubehd]D52bdmsMtYI[/youtubehd]

PS I believe there are copies of the film in other sites but I know they aren't legally acquired so I won't link them or embed. Nor should anyone else.

Drew

#37 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:40 AM

Philip Bloom posted a mini review and a short film on the C300:

http://philipbloom.n.../24/c300review/
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#38 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:40 AM

Here's the video:

[vimeohd]34162952[/vimeohd]

Drew