• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#21 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

I'd bet that Gates are hoping that the Scarlet will fit into the EPIC housing. It would certainly save a fortune on development costs that's for sure.

Cheers, Simon

#22 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

Done mine ordered as well with a Red mote, I actually thought it was the same body as Epic due to all accessories for Epic being interchangeable with Scarlet, so fingers crossed re a housing, but I have a guy here in Oz who is doing something pretty cool with housings so there could be a few options.

If it doesn't overheat. :) Imean if the 7D and 5D2 overheat, what chance does the Scarlet have of being cooler?

My personal preference is to get a custom housing so I can fit a Ki Pro Mini or Atomos Samurai in there. Then one can do everything in Pro Res proxy then convert from R3D later. R3D requires Red Rocket to transcode otherwise it's a looooonnnnnggggggg process even on 12 core computers!

Just saw a test with the Samurai and and Epic, and it worked like a treat.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#23 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:17 PM

Done mine ordered as well with a Red mote, I actually thought it was the same body as Epic due to all accessories for Epic being interchangeable with Scarlet, so fingers crossed re a housing, but I have a guy here in Oz who is doing something pretty cool with housings so there could be a few options.

Just saw a test with the Samurai and and Epic, and it worked like a treat.

Hey Jonny
Is there footage of that test some where online or did you see it first hand.
Thanks
Mark

#24 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1318 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:13 AM

Sorry wasn't mine, it was being used on a TVC, but it looked good.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#25 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:05 AM

1: Can the Atmos Samurai use the SDI Flag to start & stop recording? i.e. start recording when the camera starts to record. Record signal transmitted via the SDI interface
2: Can it also accept external time code?
Thanks

#26 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:26 AM

Mark
Yes, there is a SDI Trigger. It's also Genlock capable. It's even got lanc capability which gives more options for housings.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#27 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:42 PM

LOL when RED said they were bringing a Bazooka to a knife fight for once they really were not exaggerating! Makes the Canon announcement look rather lame...

Canon announced something??

#28 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2003 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

Canon announced something??

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=43760

#29 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

I think he's being sarastic Nick. :B):

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#30 John Doe

John Doe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

I'm a bit worried that Gates had no announcement of a housing for Scarlet. You would have thought given all the hype leading up the Scarlet announcement that *IF* gates had a housing for it they would have been shouting from the rooftops about it.

Anyone have a link to the gates Epic housing because i can see no reference to it on the Gates webs site.

It would so cruel if Scarlet gets no housing!

J.D

#31 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:27 AM

John
I think you'll be pretty safe. If Gates makes one for the Epic, I can't see why they wouldn't do so for the similarly sized Scarlet, which uses the same Redmote etc. I remember they were talking orders for Deep Epic (if my memory doesn't fail me) a few months ago.

Drew

#32 John Doe

John Doe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:41 AM

John
I think you'll be pretty safe. If Gates makes one for the Epic, I can't see why they wouldn't do so for the similarly sized Scarlet, which uses the same Redmote etc. I remember they were talking orders for Deep Epic (if my memory doesn't fail me) a few months ago.

I don't see any reference to a deep epic on the gates site. Is there anything on the web anywhere about the epic housing from Gates?

I've been waiting for Scarlet for a loooong time now - now its finally here and no mention of an housing from any manufacturer. I sure hope they start coming out soon. I don't want to pull the trigger on the Scarlet until i know housings are available for it. I reckon this is going to run 50+ K for the camera/lens/housing/lights

#33 JohnE

JohnE

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:41 AM

Decompressing from DEMA now, heading back to SD.

Pics of Scarlet look identical to EPIC. That means EPIC-X, EPIC-M and Scarlet are supported and interchangeable in DEEP EPIC. Confirming with RDCC.

Orders for DEEP EPIC are being taken. $1000 deposit.

J-

#34 John Doe

John Doe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

Pics of Scarlet look identical to EPIC. That means EPIC-X, EPIC-M and Scarlet are supported and interchangeable in DEEP EPIC. Confirming with RDCC.

J-

Pheww that's a relief !

For me its only Scarlet and only Gates - nothing else will do!

To answer my own question in my last post, yep a quick Google brings up tons of info.....to be honest I'd given up on Scarlet ever arriving so have not been following any of this - you can only get hyped so many times!

Anyway, its real and its here. If Gates come through we are all set to go. Good thing is i have had long enough to save up the money ;-)

J.D

#35 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:27 AM

J-

Thanks John. From my handling of the Scarlet, the components are the same except for the big vent bulge on the top of the Epic. I doubt you'll be cutting it that close so it'll be fine.

Drew

#36 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2003 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:08 AM

I think he's being sarastic Nick. :)

oops :B):

#37 limeyx

limeyx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

I think he's being sarastic Nick. :B):

Heh, oops. Indeed :)

#38 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

Is that 20K for the Deep Epic???

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#39 JohnE

JohnE

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:37 PM

Is that 20K for the Deep Epic???

Dean

Yes, just under, and includes:

* DEEP EPIC housing
* External monitor (your choice of 5.6" or 5")
* Integrated REDMOTE Controller
* FP80 or SP80 Port (acrylic)
* PE286 Port Extender -- covers most lenses used. Longer / shorter available, price slightly different
* Seal Check
* Travel case(s). We're working hard to get the main housing case under the airline travel limit of 50lbs (US).

Delivery: I expect shipments will start in December, and we'll start clearing our backlog. If you order now, expect February delivery.

Question to all: a mechanical and servo zoom options are available. For manufacturing planning sake, I'd like to know your preference.

J-

#40 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:09 PM

John
What lenses are covered? I assume the list for Deep Red is applicable? What about the Zeiss LWZ? Or is that a per request basis?

Drew