• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#41 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:13 AM

Also, if you read Howard Hall's Lembeh report, his Red One actually melted, I suppose as heat built up in the housing during those super-long Lembeh dives. I've no idea if the more recent Reds run cooler, or whether housing design can somehow cater for it, but it's worth bearing in mind.

Hiya Nick

RED are claiming that the Scarlet runs a lot cooler than EPIC or the RED ONE. I'm not entirely sure why it would run cooler than the EPIC at the same res/frame rate, so perhaps it is just that you can't work it as hard with overcranking etc. With regard to HH melting his RED ONE at Lembeh then I'm sure a few Sony's and Canon's have also melted there over the years! I know I was pushing my kit to the limit with 3x2 hour dives a day :B):

Cheers, Simon

#42 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

Yeah Nick we dont want any negatives about Red products!!! Some People are just about to spend thousands on them... I mean GOD FORBID!!!

:B): :)

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#43 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

Go to Lembeh Dean, you'll understand :B):

#44 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:36 PM

Go to Lembeh Dean, you'll understand :B):

Nah!!! Over done already... I was thinking more Capernwray!!!

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#45 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

Prices are $9750 for Aluminum EF mount, $11250 for Ti PL or Ti EF mount (body/brain only!)

Kind of hard to imagine how the prices went up so much. At one point they were coming in at under $3,000 during some of the initial Scarlet is being released news items, starting in 2008 :B):

The last time I looked it had gone up, but I think the fixed lens option was still coming in under $5,000.

#46 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

Anyone have 20k they can throw my way? I want to play with the big boys :B):
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#47 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

I saved a little from every job over the last couple of years and put it into an account. I could have bought an EX1, EX3 or XF305 over the last couple of years but held off. Initially I thought the money I'd saved would cover the camera AND the housing but with the price increase I don't even have enough for the camera. Oh well back to saving again but fingers crossed this camera should last a good few years....well until the next new best thing comes out of course! haha

#48 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

Rent one! all the production and rental houses will have them and like RED ONE the costs will fall pretty quick... If I had the money I'd probably look at it, however getting It underwater is another thing altogether. Give it 6 months to a year and the price per unit will hopefully drop and the firmware updates will be already installed... Then there will be Lytro X plus 5k 4D??? :B): Or RED ROUGE XT7

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#49 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

I have done the same as Simon and put cash away from every job to upgrade. Dean, renting is a good idea but it is expensive and to be honest renting here is OZ for underwater gear just doesn't happen. If you need a housing for a two day shoot the shipping and renting costs are obscene. So I look at it the other way and if I own it people can rent it from me and pay those costs. The camera itself will pay for itself within a few months for me, the housing will take longer. My poor old 7D's / 5D's and A1's have paid for themselves about 30 times over each, but I really need a better more professional camera. Clients look at a 7/5D and do need some convincing, they love the images but I think they expect something bigger, weird I know but true.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#50 JohnE

JohnE

Lionfish

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:06 PM

John
What lenses are covered? I assume the list for Deep Red is applicable? What about the Zeiss LWZ? Or is that a per request basis?

Same as DEEP RED, but any lens can be added to the list. If it's PL or the new Canon 4K lenses we can use published dimensions to pick the best port extender match. Nikon and Canon DSLR glass require gears fitted here at Gates to check clearances.

http://www.gateshous...lens-matrix.pdf

#51 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

My poor old 7D's / 5D's and A1's have paid for themselves about 30 times over each, but I really need a better more professional camera. Clients look at a 7/5D and do need some convincing, they love the images but I think they expect something bigger, weird I know but true.

That's how Zacuto, Red Micro etc have made money making the DSLR look like a pro rig, just to impress clients! :B):

For whomever bought in on the Scarlet/Epic, I suggest you first go check out RedCineX Pro with your current editing station to see how long it takes to transcode .r3D. You may also need to get a new computer or the Red Rocket. I suggest 1/4 Debayer to start.

Same as DEEP RED, but any lens can be added to the list. If it's PL or the new Canon 4K lenses we can use published dimensions to pick the best port extender match. Nikon and Canon DSLR glass require gears fitted here at Gates to check clearances. \

I suggest you add the 8-15 to the Deep list for all your housings.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#52 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:55 PM

I have done the same as Simon and put cash away from every job to upgrade. Dean, renting is a good idea but it is expensive and to be honest renting here is OZ for underwater gear just doesn't happen. If you need a housing for a two day shoot the shipping and renting costs are obscene. So I look at it the other way and if I own it people can rent it from me and pay those costs. The camera itself will pay for itself within a few months for me, the housing will take longer. My poor old 7D's / 5D's and A1's have paid for themselves about 30 times over each, but I really need a better more professional camera. Clients look at a 7/5D and do need some convincing, they love the images but I think they expect something bigger, weird I know but true.

Completely agree on renting Jon and it is not much different in the UK for underwater gear. I bought an extra 7D housing because we needed 2 and the cost of renting it over just 2 weeks hire was equivalent to virtually 100% of the purchase cost - no brainer! That housing has now paid for itself even if I leave it to rot and never pick it up again. Admittedly renting cameras is more cost effective than housings but it is still very expensive and not a long term solution for me, especially when you get a call asking if you are free tomorrow like I did last night. It would have been very embarrassing if I'd said yes I was free but I didn't have a camera....

#53 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:54 AM

Simon, do you think people will call you more often if you put Scarlet on your resumé? For eg, there's a broadcaster which is looking for Epic shooters for a new series (specifically 300fps 2k), prompting one of my buddies to learn how to dive! I doubt he'd have gotten the call if he still had his R1 MX (which does the same thing!!)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#54 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:30 AM

I think the great thing about Scarlet X is that it's the same body as Epic and the Dragon upgrade will be in the same body so one housing will actually last longer than 3-4 years. Also if the client specifically wants 5K @120fps then they can rent / supply the Epic. I was so close to buying a 2nd hand Red 1 MX as they going pretty cheap now but it's the fact that I may not have to buy another housing for a while that excites me.

For most the stuff I do I will buy a Samurai and capture pro res and not even bother with R3D's. Underwater though shooting raw will be great.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#55 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:42 AM

It would have been very embarrassing if I'd said yes I was free but I didn't have a camera....

Agreed, however you 'have' got a camera! You wouldn't be in business without the right equipment!? You are lucky to have your corporate work and yes renting for that kind of work is a no brainer however for a lot of shooters the production companies will rely on trusted rental houses or their own in house stores to provide the equiPment with the latter being obviously cheaper. when I did the Deadly shoot they supplied my with an A1/Amphibico combo rather than rent my own set up...

Well I'm going to sit it out and rent one off of Simon for mates rates :B):

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#56 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:02 AM

Well I'm going to sit it out and rent one off of Simon for mates rates :B):

Dean

Sounds good to me! :)

#57 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:14 AM

Simon, do you think people will call you more often if you put Scarlet on your resumé? For eg, there's a broadcaster which is looking for Epic shooters for a new series (specifically 300fps 2k), prompting one of my buddies to learn how to dive! I doubt he'd have gotten the call if he still had his R1 MX (which does the same thing!!)

I'd love to think so Drew and it would be a great bonus, but realistically I'm not counting on it. I've got one project next year who have told me they want "better than XDCAM" and of course if we ever get into full production on The Fin Trail then it will save a significant sum in hire/capital costs. There maybe light at the end of that tunnel but if everyone who had said they'd help/donate etc etc had then we'd have enough by now to shoot two films! Ultimately I'm not expecting miracles but I hope the Scarlet will be a camera that I can keep longer than average and pay for itself with the work I already have and whatever else comes along. Time will tell I guess..! :B):

Cheers, Simon

#58 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

"better than XDCAM"

7D or so you keep telling me :B):

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#59 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:53 AM

Sure Simon, but the issue of longevity is something that heat and reliability isn't associated with the Red brand. Why do you think there's permanent Red staff on standby at the big productions like POTC, Hobbit etc? I'm not sure that sort of support will get to the one camera pony shows. Not that other brands don't break down, but it doesn't happen as often because they are not pushing the components to process that much data in such a small package. Not to mention the beta firmware due to short developmental cycle. That said... 4k!!! :B):

Drew

#60 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

That said... 4k!!! ;)

:B): :)

"better than XDCAM"

7D or so you keep telling me ;)

Dean

LOL was very close to burning out two sensors tonight!! Warning lights flashing like made and 5 mins to go....it was a race to see who would finish first - the speaker or the cameras!! haha