Photo
- - - - -

Having trouble collecting on a claim with DEPP?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Tribolet

Chuck Tribolet

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

My girlfriend has a claim with DEPP after a flood. They are
completely unresponsive to phone calls and e-mails over a period
of two and a half months.

Anybody else having trouble?

Chuck
Chuck Tribolet

#2 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:36 AM

Hi Chuck,
take a look at the Official Insurance Thread, plenty of similar stories there.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#3 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:06 AM

Good luck getting satisfaction from them. I had insurance with them but, luckily, never needed to file a claim. My sister did, however. It was a total nightmare where they nickel and dimed her to death. On a couple of items, they accepted premium payments on items they said they never cover. I pulled my policy immediately. I just had a small claim with H2O from DAN and, except for the large deductable, they sent a check without a problem.

GOOD LUCK!

#4 Kilili

Kilili

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

Typical of them, though in the end, after many calls and emails, they paid submitted claims. I don't like their recent policy changes, and have switched to DAN, though filed no claims yet with them.
Ken
Kilili Studios
ken@kilili.com

Nikon D2x with Subal ND2, and all that other stuff

#5 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

I had to file a large claim with Dan due to a theft only a few months ago. They were very courteous and handled things as expediently as possible. I was very pleased.

Many years ago I was in Tahiti where I had my first flood of an old Sony 2000 SD cam. I was with Depp then and they took forever to settle things. Plus I was ready to move on from the 2000 but they insisted they would send me the same cam or no go. Left them right after and have been with DAN ever since.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#6 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:53 PM

I have just swapped to another insurer after hearing all of these stories. What's the point in having insurance if I would be without a camera for six months or more after a flood? An Australian pro photo insurer has decided to add accidental flood damage to their policy, and their rates are comparable to the DEPP ones.

#7 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

An Australian pro photo insurer has decided to add accidental flood damage to their policy, and their rates are comparable to the DEPP ones.

Who would that be? My DEPP policy is up for renewal soon and i'm looking for an alternative.
Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:25 AM

Also interested in knowing the options available in Australia...

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

I use my annual International Travel Insurance as gear coverage. It's already something I buy and there's a deductible of $200 per item up to $30k. I'm pretty sure Travel Guard and other travel insurance coverage have plans for the frequent traveller. It covers medical and medievac as well. I keep DAN to get choice of medical facilities. DAN for instance will put you in the closest chamber. My plan puts me where I want to go... big difference do the chamber in say Khartoum vs Cairo if I get hit in Sudan.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#10 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

Having had a claim with Travel Guard, I would be wary. Although mine was a one trip coverage, and the coverage was for $2000 worth of baggage, when I claimed they stated that this was "supplemental insurance" and that anything over the deductible on my Homeowners policy would have to be claimed through my homeowner's policy. Luckily, I managed to repair my BCD for $80, and so I was o.k. RBC coverage does the same thing. Who wants to mess up their home insurance with a claim of several hundred dollars? Who is your policy with, Drew?

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#11 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

Who would that be? My DEPP policy is up for renewal soon and i'm looking for an alternative.

I spent a day getting in contact with a whole bunch of people, and sent a quote request to these guys: http://photoinsurance.com.au/ Jacqui rang me the next morning to discuss what I wanted, and said they'd had a lot of requests from underwater photographers. She then went back to the underwriter to discuss and got back to me within a week. Their standard cover is only for floods caused by a damaged housing (smashed against a rock etc), but they have added a special condition to my policy to include accidental flooding for unknown reasons. Premium remains the same, excess is $750 instead of $250 if I can't work out why the flood happened. Jacqui said they will be incorporating this in the policy as standard shortly, but you may still have to ask.

I was really impressed with the speed of response from these guys. They insure photo pros and therefore say that they repair damaged equipment rapidly and/or pay for hire equipment in the meantime. Of course, I haven't had to claim as yet...but I feel a lot more secure than I do with DEPP.

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:58 AM

Marli
If you state that your equipment are revenue earning, they would not be covered under the homeowner's policy. All you need is your home owner's company to say so, and they'll gladly say that in writing. However, apparently Travel Guard aggregates everything under a lump sum, so you won't be claiming much past $500. So I'll pull back my recommendation for Travel Guard for equipment insurance.

As ErrBrr suggested, professional insurance such as PPA and NAPP is also an option, so long as you add a rider to cover underwater stuff.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#13 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

I received this email from DEPP last night. Looks like they are trying to do something about the speed of their response to enquiries, claims, etc.

We continually try to improve the customer service experience with D.E.P.P. As a part of these improvements, we are consolidating all operations and administration for the D.E.P.P. Program into our headquarters in Louisville, KY., effective immediately. Our office in Palm Desert, CA will be closed November 1, 2011.

This consolidation will eliminate the confusion over which office handles which aspect of D.E.P.P. administration and should help facilitate the claim administration and payment. The telephone number for the Louisville operation is (502) 565-4357. This is an automated system, however with consolidated operations, the response and reconciliation time should be drastically improved. Please direct all inquiries and communications to our Louisville, KY headquarters, 1450 Gardner Lane, Box 13, Louisville, KY 40213-1974. If you pay by check please use this address for premium payment. Our fax number will remain the same 775-640-6449

Sandy Hall or Bryan Goad will continue to responding to e-mails and returning your calls.

We thank you and we appreciate your business. We believe the centralizing of all D.E.P.P. operations is an important step in improving our customer service.

When send e-mail to use, please use one of the following keywords on the subject line.

CLAIM DEPP QUESTION EQUIPMENT UPDATE

Since we have many customers outside the US, we are unable to block many e-mails. We receive over 2500 spam e-mails a day and may possibly miss your correspondence without the keyword listed on the subject line.

Sincerely;

Your D.E.P.P. Staff

Edited by Gudge, 07 November 2011 - 11:32 AM.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#14 S1mon

S1mon

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:43 AM

As a nice postscript to this thread I received the following email from a guy at the Fraud Division of the Kentucky Insurance Commsioners office, its dated 8th June 2013:

"As of today I filed criminal charges against Deane & Dixie Lehrmitt.  I know they have attempted to settle your claims.  I need to know from each of you what is still owed to you so that I can petition the court for restitution on your behalf.  I have been  in contact with their attorney and he has advised me he will act as a 3rd party administrator to help settle the claims.  The Lehrmitts are no longer allowed to work on your claims.  I would appreciate any future correspondence that you may have Lehrmitts, that you don’t mention the criminal prosecution."

This is as a direct result of compaints made by myself, Glamorpuss and one other. We are very happy with the result, and will be even happier when we receive final full payment of our claims.

If anyone is any dount:

DO NOT GIVE ANY MONEY TO DEPP, THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!

With kind regards and big smiles

Simon

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Kenneth Grahame (The Wind in the Willows)

#15 Schott

Schott

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:27 AM

One of the problems they may have is if they cannot prove they actually had coverage for the premiums collected.  As I read so many of these posts and stories of deceit, I would be surprised if there was an actual underwriter to stand behind the claims, perhaps what claims were being paid was from the renewals of the uninformed collectively.  Good luck with insurance in the future as there just isn't a lot of choices out there that is cost effective.

#16 glamourpuss

glamourpuss

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:57 AM

I have just been informed by the Kentucky Department of Insurance that the Lehrmitts both plead guilty to I count each of insurance fraud.  They were placed on probation for 2 years and ordered to pay a fine to the Kentucky Department of Insurance and settle all claims through their attorney.

#17 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:26 AM

Well, it is long overdue. I am so fortunate as to not have had a claim in the many years that I used these losers. I hope that they are made to pay up.

Cheers,

Marli

Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#18 saudio

saudio

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

I have just been informed by the Kentucky Department of Insurance that the Lehrmitts both plead guilty to I count each of insurance fraud.  They were placed on probation for 2 years and ordered to pay a fine to the Kentucky Department of Insurance and settle all claims through their attorney.

I'll bet their wrists are stinging right about now.

Edited by saudio, 26 July 2013 - 07:26 AM.