• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tmaxx

Tmaxx

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

Has anyone tried to use a magnifying eyepiece while putting it into a housing?
examples:here and here

I have an ikelite housing which has a viewfinder that as described here seems to make the image smaller but allows the user to see the entire viewfinder.

My goal is to make the image bigger and i do not mind having the corners cut a bit in the viewfinder. Can anyone confirm if any of the eyepieces fit inside the housing and that my assumption that it would make the image bigger be correct?

#2 londonsean69

londonsean69

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Building a kit car, Pub

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:25 AM

Not a great answer to your question, but I too have the Ikelite housing and struggled with the standard viewfinder.

I have fitted an Inon 45 degree viewfinder, using an adaptor from UWCameraStuff

It's a revelation, the image is big and bright, has full coverage, and actually allows me to compose, rather than having to guess. Not the cheapest solution, but a lot cheaper than upgrading housings!
Toys - D90, Tokina 10-17, 60 macro, 105 macro, Ike housing, 2xYS110

#3 blibecap

blibecap

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:55 AM

Hi

There is not enough room for that to fit inside the housing. I have tried the Nikon DK-17M and the Nikon DK-21M. The Nikon DK-17M requires some adapter modification but you might try the Nikon DK-21M. I know it doesn't sound like much magnification but you will be surprised at the loss of image area. The major problem as I see it is the fact that you loose the bottom information line. I recommend one of the 45 or 180 degree viewfinders with our adapter. The good thing about this option is that when you upgrade your housing you can put the old viewfinder back in and move your expensive viewfinder to your new housing. I have installed the Inon 45 and 180 degree viewfinder in several ikelite housings. The Aquatica Aqua View viewfinder is great but it will not fit in the ikelite viewfinder hole.
Bill Libecap
Cincinnati, Oh
http://www.UwCameraStuff.com
Home of the Housing Sentry, the ultimate leak prevention system.

#4 tdtaylor

tdtaylor

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

Does the Inon 45 degree viewfinder have a diopter adjustment? Looking at several sites I have not found the answer.

Thanks,

Terry

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1497 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

Does the Inon 45 degree viewfinder have a diopter adjustment? Looking at several sites I have not found the answer.

Thanks,

Terry

No it doesn't, in practice you adjust the viewfinder diopter on the camera. The only 45 finder that I know about that has a diopter adjustment is from Nauticam but it shouldn't matter unless you have several folks using the same housing.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 londonsean69

londonsean69

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, Building a kit car, Pub

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:21 AM

No, it doesn't. And I didn't need it anyway. My camera had the dioptre adjusted on land when I first bought it, and I haven't touched it since, and it has been in the Ikelite housing with and without the Inon viewfinder. I personally do not see the benefit in a dioptre adjustment on a viewfinder, unless it is a rental housing.
Toys - D90, Tokina 10-17, 60 macro, 105 macro, Ike housing, 2xYS110