• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:34 PM

Peter Jackson threw up a blog on the 3D shooting of the hobbit, including how they storyboard in 3D and use 3D to enhance the visual story telling. Pretty basic stuff but couple of interesting factors is shooting at 48fps for a more natural look, over saturation of color (something underwater shooters can't really control in the wild!) etc.

Peter Jackson's Facebook entry on 3D

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

i can't believe the artists actually sketch out Red and Cyan pictures separately for the concept...... incredible.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

It's not new David. They did that for POTC4 among others. However, I like the fact that Peter et al are now pushing towards 48fps! Let 24fps die please!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

It's not new David. They did that for POTC4 among others. However, I like the fact that Peter et al are now pushing towards 48fps! Let 24fps die please!

Sure its not new. I am just admiring the artist's skills. Two different artists are drawing two identical frames separately by eye and no overlay which what most animators do. Could have produced two images of different colour from a single one. To do it this way on the fly is hard. Although I must admit you can't beat the tactile feel of a hand drawn picture. When I was at design school I sketch for days for a flip book animation and it is bloody difficult. These are really skilled craftsman and no wonder they all have grey hairs.

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

LOL they are also just older! Maybe it's the NZ climate? LOL

Drew

#6 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:40 PM

LOL they are also just older! Maybe it's the NZ climate? LOL

I meant they are all veterans with grey hairs doing this..... then again maybe its the extra UV they received from NZ climate.

#7 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1976 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

Not sure if this is the right thread, and this has nothing to do with underwater, but it's a very interesting and watchable look at the use of Epics for 3D in the making of The Hobbit. The 3D storyboarding is amazing. Can't fault them for thoroughness.

[youtubehd]apD2CFEJ0MY[/youtubehd]

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

I meant they are all veterans with grey hairs doing this..... then again maybe its the extra UV they received from NZ climate.

So are you saying if you don't have grey hairs, you're not doing your job right? Damn I have to dye my hair grey now! :B):

Drew

#9 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:15 AM

So are you saying if you don't have grey hairs, you're not doing your job right? Damn I have to dye my hair grey now! :B):

Dying your hair ain't going to do much good unless you could draw like them mate.
Not a bad job doing visual concepts for a big budget movie......

#10 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Fascinating Nick, thanks for putting this one up. I laughed at the one system he called light as a crew member was carrying it from one part of the set to the other.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.