• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tdtaylor

tdtaylor

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:44 PM

Headed to Rivera Maya (Barcelo Maya) in March, and busy setting up dive sessions. One of Dressel's operations works out of the marina at our resort- fairly expensive but very convenient. Feedback through the dive boards is fairly favorable, but definite ups and downs. It appears serious photo work would be seriously hampered- I could survive taking my compact unit vs. my DSLR. It also appears they separate new divers/classes out, but not positive.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. The cost is not the most important issue, for my daughter and I are with three other non-divers, and the convenience of being able to slip away early and be back by twelve after a 2 tank dive is very convenient.

Thanks,

Terry

#2 tomc

tomc

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

Check out Dive Aventuras. The dive operations are very photographer friendly. Mike and Karen Doody are the owners. Karen is an avid u/w photog - so they know how to cope with u/w photography gear.

TomC
Canon 7D, Nauticam Housing, Z-240 strobes, a bunch of lenses
http://www.tpixs.com

#3 JustinBeevor

JustinBeevor

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:19 AM

I've dived with Dressel a couple of times, once from the Toucan in Playacar, and once from Cozumel (March this year). The guides were great and very friendly, but it is a very commercial set-up, aimed at volume holiday-makers rather than hardcore photographers. I also had serious doubts about the security of their dive lockers! There are a large number of dive operators in and around Playa, and my advice would be to shop around rather than go for the nearest and most convenient. For cenote trips, definitely speak to Kris Harrison: http://siriusdiving.com/about/

Edited by JustinBeevor, 27 December 2011 - 03:20 AM.

Sony NEX-6 + Nauticam NA NEX6 + Inon Z240
flickr

#4 NCmermaid

NCmermaid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hi Terry, Karen from Dive Aventuras here. We are just 5 mins from your hotel and offer complimentary transfer service to the dive shop. My staff is used to high end photographers and their equipment. We've got secure gear storage on site as well. Lot's of flexiblity for diving. Vist the website www.diveaventuras.com or drop me an email. We'd love to have ya.

And thanks for the kind words Tom!

Karen
Nikon D300, S&S MDX300 housing, YS90DX & 110 strobes, ULCS arms, Tokina 10-17mm, Tokina 12-24mm, Nikon 60mm macro

My Galleries:
http//www.karendoody.com

#5 resappraiser

resappraiser

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

Headed to Rivera Maya (Barcelo Maya) in March, and busy setting up dive sessions. One of Dressel's operations works out of the marina at our resort- fairly expensive but very convenient. Feedback through the dive boards is fairly favorable, but definite ups and downs. It appears serious photo work would be seriously hampered- I could survive taking my compact unit vs. my DSLR. It also appears they separate new divers/classes out, but not positive.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. The cost is not the most important issue, for my daughter and I are with three other non-divers, and the convenience of being able to slip away early and be back by twelve after a 2 tank dive is very convenient.

Thanks,

Terry

I also strongly recommend Dive Adventuras. I was there two years ago and had a great time. Open water as well as Cenote diving. Great service and great people.

Bob

#6 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:27 PM

I visited that region 2 yrs ago and wrote this trip report using Dive Adventuras.
It was Cenotes diving for that day so I cannot speak about ocean diving. My experience was wonderful and would/will do it again.

Maya diving trip report

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com