Photo
- - - - -

Travel kit must have items for remote destinations.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:52 AM

I was sent a PM by someone who wanted to know what sort of preventative and medicine I pack in my first aid kit. I thought I'd bring it out on the forum (I dunno why people have to PM instead ask the questions in the forum where more opinions and expertise are available!).
My own kit are as follows (depends on area):

1. Assortment of waterproof bandaids, aspirin(Acetominophen), melatonin.
2. Silver Solution (non-collodial) gel and liquid. The best anti-microbial/bacterial preventative meds. I spray into my mouth after brushing my teeth and use the gel as a anti-bacterial/fungal preventative for very humid/wet areas. Great for rash/minor cuts etc.
3. 2 courses of Vermox, Cipro and Flagyl.
4. Eucalyptus/Neem oil anti-mossie. Also use Dr. Bronner's Eucalyptus bar soap for layering if in a dengue/malarial/encephalitis area (soap doubles as shampoo if weight limited!). Reapply every hour.
5. Glove in a Bottle for prevention of cracked skin, lips etc in extreme dry/cold.
6. Invisible Zinc 4hr water resistant sunblock for topside and Caribbean Sol Biodegradable Sunscreen for in water (I think there are now rules about sunscreen in some areas in Mexico)
7. Wound Seal Stop Bleeding or Yunnanbaiyao if I can find it. Both are great for sealing wounds.

Most of the medicinal stuff gets thrown away once it is 9 mths over use by date. But the Yun Nan Bai Yao helped a buddy who sliced his leg open, when I miraculously remembered to bring the kit on the boat!

What's in your kit?

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:UW videography, tec diving<br />literature (novels)<br />diplomacy

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:21 AM

I was sent a PM by someone who wanted to know what sort of preventative and medicine I pack in my first aid kit. I thought I'd bring it out on the forum (I dunno why people have to PM instead ask the questions in the forum where more opinions and expertise are available!).

2. Silver Solution (non-collodial) gel and liquid. The best anti-microbial/bacterial preventative meds. I spray into my mouth after brushing my teeth and use the gel as a anti-bacterial/fungal preventative for very humid/wet areas. Great for rash/minor cuts etc.
4. Eucalyptus/Neem oil anti-mossie. Also use Dr. Bronner's Eucalyptus bar soap for layering if in a dengue/malarial/encephalitis area (soap doubles as shampoo if weight limited!). Reapply every hour.
5. Glove in a Bottle for prevention of cracked skin, lips etc in extreme dry/cold.
6. Invisible Zinc 4hr water resistant sunblock for topside and Caribbean Sol Biodegradable Sunscreen for in water (I think there are now rules about sunscreen in some areas in Mexico)
7. Wound Seal Stop Bleeding or Yunnanbaiyao if I can find it. Both are great for sealing wounds.

Most of the medicinal stuff gets thrown away once it is 9 mths over use by date. But the Yun Nan Bai Yao helped a buddy who sliced his leg open, when I miraculously remembered to bring the kit on the boat!

What's in your kit?

Extremely useful thread Drew, thanks.

I would add two items (especially for Egypt):

Dramenex (motion sickness)
and something for diarrhea...

Edited by Drew, 13 November 2011 - 12:44 PM.

#3 AndyBarker

AndyBarker

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Diving , Photography , Fishing ,

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

Hi All,
how about something for your ears like Tea Tree Oil.

Andy :B):

Andy Barker
D800, Seacam,S45, Nikon 60mm micro, Nikon VR 105mm micro, Nikon 16x35mm, Nikon 16mm, fe, Seaflash 150ttl & Seacam flash arms

#4 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1756 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:39 PM

I agree,

Otomize ear spray has saved my ears soo many times!

I also carry sachets of Dioralite (?) fluid replacement salts.

And Cipro to fix everything as Drew has mentioned!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

I use the Silver Sol for ears, mouth and wounds as an anti-microbial/bacterial. 8oz is enough for 30 days easily. Cipro is actually going to be removed from my kit once it expires. The Vermox is only essential if your drinking water isn't clean. I survived drinking river water using Silver Sol/iodine in PNG on the Sepik dugout tour but my buddy needed the Vermox to get rid of an amoebic dysentery.
I use to think the Silver Sol was just snake oil. However, it's worked so well over the years that I slowly replaced all antiseptic creams, disinfectants etc for that one product.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1538 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

What's in your kit?

Lomotil, no Vermox but I could have used some in Belize, augmentin for ear and other non-stomach infections, large gauze pads, tape for bandaging, carmex for lips and nose sunburn, aloe gel with lidocaine for sunburn and chafing, scissors, advil, anti-acid (fomatadine) and malarone for malaria prohylaxis.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#7 deepsea

deepsea

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Photography, environment, education, as much diving and in water time as possible. Swimming with Humpback Whales and much more.

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

Would also add

Antihistamine for bug bites and stings if needed.
Steri strips

Good list though, thanks
Nikon D200, Sea and Sea Housing, YS250 and YS90 strobes

Personal website http://beyondtheeye.ifp3.com

#8 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:54 PM

aspirin(Acetominophen)

Not sure if you meant to suggest that aspirin and acetaminophen were the same thing. They are not. Aspirin is aspirin. Acetaminophen is the same as paracetamol. Probably best to have both in the kit. Maybe Ibuprofen, too, as not everyone can take them all.

Note that there may be legal issues with giving painkillers to another person if you are not licensed to do so - there's even a special note about medications in the DAN First Aid & Emergency Care guide.

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:22 AM

LOL Ever since I was made to sign a liability release in Sydney to take a doggy bag home, I realize Australia was actually more litigious than the US.

Thanks for the correction. It is an "or" I wanted.

Also Gloves in the Box when used around the lip/mouth area helps with stingy things as there is a thin protective layer. Not very appealing but it beats cracked lips in cold water!

Drew