#1 paul.hunter

paul.hunter

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography and all other outdoor sports

Posted 28 January 2004 - 10:25 AM

Greetings all

I know this is a digital site and all but is there anybody out there that can offer some help with the MotorMarine II EX and the different Lenses.

I own the above camera and have had mixed results over the last couple of month and wanted to bounce a couple of ideas off somebody that owns or previously owned the same camera.

Thanx
Paul

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 10:45 AM

Hi Paul,

I've moved this topic to another forum where I hope there are more folks who can help you.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 WetA70

WetA70

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 05:05 PM

I own the above camera and have had mixed results over the last couple of month and wanted to bounce a couple of ideas off somebody that owns or previously owned the same camera.

Hi Paul,

I still have my MMIIEx and I used it since 1998. I switched to digital last summer and I don't think will go back to film. The only thing I'm missing is the field of view of the 20mm lens.

There is no reason you can't get good results with it. Do you have the YS-60 strobe?

#4 paul.hunter

paul.hunter

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 03:54 AM

Hi

I have both the YS-60 and YS-90 strobes. What lens would you use to photography clowm fish the T3 or the 35mm?

Paul
Nikon F100, D70 and D200
2 X Sea & Sea Housings
2 X Ys-90 Strobes, YS-350
105mm Macro,18-35mm, 10-20mm, 28-70mm

The fun does not stop when you get old but you get old when you stop having fun!

#5 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 29 January 2004 - 03:59 AM

Depends what you want to achieve...

The CU is good to get the anemone fish & anemone. The T3 a more personal view of the fish.

#6 Andy H

Andy H

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 04:24 AM

Paul, take a look at my website which has a load of information on using the MMII & accessories.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions that aren't covered there.

Andy

#7 paul.hunter

paul.hunter

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 11:47 AM

Hi Andy

Thanx for the help on the site. I'll read throught it all and give the 35mm and CU lens a bash, I think this is what I'm looking for. Just one thing I can't seem to view your galleries for some odd reason says they can't be found.

I'm really enjoying this camera and I think it's a great tool to learn underwater photography before moving on to a housed system. I have had some success and alot of failures but that is what keeps me coming back. I will take you up on your offer on more questions once I have read and tried what you have advised on the site.

Paul
Nikon F100, D70 and D200
2 X Sea & Sea Housings
2 X Ys-90 Strobes, YS-350
105mm Macro,18-35mm, 10-20mm, 28-70mm

The fun does not stop when you get old but you get old when you stop having fun!

#8 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1253 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 29 January 2004 - 03:01 PM

I know this is a digital site and all but is there anybody out there that can offer some help with the MotorMarine II EX and the different Lenses.

Thanx
Paul

Paul;

I had an MMII system for a couple of years getting my 'feet' wet on UW Photography. Please take a look at my DeePics site, everything there was shot with that system.

Have you read the excellent S&S book on their systems? It's about $20 and really covers everything you need to know, including basic techniques, equipment choices, lighting and maintenance.

Best advice is to take one type of shot, particularly one lens and concentrate on it, shoot several rolls on it, playing with exposure, distance to subject and lighting until you feel you're getting what you want. Try a couple of different films, but I'd try to shoot 100asa for better quality. Shoot prints first, then move to slides.

I start with the 2x macro as macro is fairly easy to learn and get some positive feedback with. The 3x is a bit hard to swim with. Not sure what arms you have, but I'd get your light close, not much more that 9".

Other advice is to be safe with whatever you're doing. Very easy to get task/equipment loaded on a tough dive with current or other situation.

Hope that helps,
Jack

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#9 WetA70

WetA70

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:40 PM

Hi  

I have both the YS-60 and YS-90 strobes.  What lens would you use to photography clowm fish the T3 or the 35mm?

Paul

I would use the close-up lens, I've never used the T3 I bought the T2 because someone told me there was not much difference between the CU and the T3. I got good shots of Clown fish with their host with the CU lens. Remember to use the lower spot in the MMIIEx viewfinder to frame your picture.

I either used the 20mm or the CU with the MMIIEx. I rarely used the 35mm.

#10 Andy H

Andy H

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 04:26 AM

Just one thing I can't seem to view your galleries for some odd reason says they can't be found.  

I recently changed my username and quickly copied everything over. As I mean to overhaul the site, I didn't check everything :oops:

I'll try and correct that later as you may well be interested in the shots displayed there that were taken with the MM2.

Andy