• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve Lite, the free (for now) color correction software, has been updated to include unlimited nodes. The previous version limited the number of nodes to 2. The new version is still limited to HD resolution and the previous exclusions of features are still valid. It's renders faster than FCS 3's Color and is 64bit. It also uses the GPU more and is Nvidia CUDA aware. I still find Color's UI to be more intuitive and easier to use but Resolve is just as powerful and faster. It's actually more powerful because it processes in YRGB, so color correction does not affect luma! Of course, Color has the ColorFX which is a quick fix.

http://www.blackmagi...releaseID=26112

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Blackmagic's DaVinci Resolve Lite, the free (for now) color correction software, has been updated to include unlimited nodes. The previous version limited the number of nodes to 2. The new version is still limited to HD resolution and the previous exclusions of features are still valid. It's renders faster than FCS 3's Color and is 64bit. It also uses the GPU more and is Nvidia CUDA aware. I still find Color's UI to be more intuitive and easier to use but Resolve is just as powerful and faster. It's actually more powerful because it processes in YRGB, so color correction does not affect luma! Of course, Color has the ColorFX which is a quick fix.

http://www.blackmagi...releaseID=26112

Cool, I want to try it some more. Looking for the download link on the site, but it is not up as far as I can see. And it works with FCP X I think as of the last update via whatever the XML is :)

Found it here http://blackmagic-de...i...1735&os=mac

#3 uwxplorer

uwxplorer

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:00 PM

What would be great is a short tutorial for underwater footage color correction... Just dreaming.

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

If you understand how to color correct, then it's a matter of getting the look right. There's no secret formula as there are no set scenes.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

Just downloaded it today and having a play

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:53 AM

Resolve does 3D too Jonny. It's actually quite fun to edit that way, so long as you realize that underwater 3D is best done monochromatic tones. :)

Drew

#7 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

Resolve does 3D too Jonny. It's actually quite fun to edit that way, so long as you realize that underwater 3D is best done monochromatic tones. :D

I'd have too shoot some 3D first :)

www.ginclearfilm.com

#8 OmahGili

OmahGili

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Videographi

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

i have a problem with fcp and davinci round trip and now my fcp xml file cannot open in davinci. i upgrade from resolve9 to 10 and now its cannot works the XML

don't dream your live, but live your dream....... 

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

Omah, it's easier to help if you list software and OS versions, and also list your steps on XML export. Resolve 10+ uses XML 1.3, which I think is only compatible with FCPX10.1 +.

Drew

#10 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

Unfortunately it doesn't work now on any of my machines... need to do some upgrading

www.ginclearfilm.com

#11 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

Jonny, unfortunately, updating is the way forward as "standards" evolve.  There's now XML1.4  which Resolve 10 doesn't read.

Drew

#12 OmahGili

OmahGili

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Videographi

Posted 07 September 2014 - 04:52 AM

Omah, it's easier to help if you list software and OS versions, and also list your steps on XML export. Resolve 10+ uses XML 1.3, which I think is only compatible with FCPX10.1 +.

sorry id dint say what i use.

i use imac27" 3.4 i7 with 24gb memory. i use final cut pro 10.0.3 and now i upgrade to resolve lite 10 and my xml from fcp doesnt work in resolve. ithink i should upgrade also fcp to 10.1 lik eyou say to be able my resolve10 to read the xml.

when im export from fcp i use the normal export function

on project library i choose my clip and go to file-export XML

i dont know if i need to upgrade and how to upgrade it....

also i have trouble to do fcp-resolve round trip. i dont know how it works because every time i do it always fail...

cheers

don't dream your live, but live your dream....... 

#13 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10640 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:29 AM

Omah, hit software upgrade from the Apple menu and it should get you updated to the latest version of FCPX.  

Drew