9 replies to this topic

#1 Shadis

Shadis

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:08 AM

Hi

I have a Sea & Sea housing for canon 5D Mark II and 2 Ikelite 161 strobes .
Is there any way to connect them so I can sync them via TTL and not manual ?

Tnx
Shadi

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1456 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:41 AM

Hi

Tnx
Shadi

Not so simple as it is for Nikon cameras I think. There are/were TTL converters for Canon cameras but they need 6 pin bulkheads. There are external converters still available from S&S but I don't know if they play well with Ike strobes

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

Hi

Tnx
Shadi

If the Sea&Sea bulkheads for the sync cords are either "Nikon" or "Ikelite" format, you can use Ikelite's TTL converter. I use one on my Aquatica to DS-125 with Nikon bulkheads.

JP

Edited by johnspierce, 22 November 2011 - 09:02 AM.

Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1456 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:41 AM

If the Sea&Sea bulkheads for the sync cords are either "Nikon" or "Ikelite" format, you can use Ikelite's TTL converter. I use one on my Aquatica to DS-125 with Nikon bulkheads.

JP

On a Canon? I thought they needed all 6 pins for TTL. Good to know

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:03 AM

On a Canon? I thought they needed all 6 pins for TTL. Good to know

Bill

Oops. Can't speak to a Canon - -I did not know they needed all 6 pins. Shutting up now. :)

However, a quick search of Wetpixel came up with this thread -- somebody here apparently had a custom-made TTL converter for Canon from Ikelite at one time:

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=35344

JP

Edited by johnspierce, 22 November 2011 - 10:05 AM.

#6 Shadis

Shadis

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:44 PM

There are TTL converters for canon . Sea & Sea has them and so does Ikelite .

The problem is that I have a Sea&Sea housing with Ikelite strobes and according to the web sites of each company the converters only work if the housing and the strobes are from the same company :

Sea & Sea housing with Sea & Sea strobes
Ikelite housing with Ikelite Strobes

I posted this message to check if anyone tried mixed brands , it could be that they do work together and the only reason that the above companies don't admit it is a marketing strategy

#7 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 01:51 PM

The problem is that I have a Sea&Sea housing with Ikelite strobes and according to the web sites of each company the converters only work if the housing and the strobes are from the same company :

I posted this message to check if anyone tried mixed brands , it could be that they do work together and the only reason that the above companies don't admit it is a marketing strategy

I am not a Canon shooter, but I do have mixed brands. Nikon camera, Aquatica Housing, Ikelite strobes and they do have an adapter for TTL for my setup.

In the link I referenced above the poster says he had a "custom" converter from Ikelite for his Canon. This would suggest they could make you a custom converter for your Ike/S&S combo, but I'm making a big assumption there. I would just contact them and ask:

http://www.ikelite.c...es/contact.html

They've been pretty quick (within a day) getting back with me on questions in the past.

Good luck,
JP

Edited by johnspierce, 22 November 2011 - 01:54 PM.

#8 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1456 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

I have a Heinrichs external TTL converter for Canon. If you have a 5 pin Nikonos to Ikelite cable, I am pretty sure (90%) that this converter will work with the 160 strobe. The problem as I stated before is that the housing needs to have a 6 pin bulkhead to get the camera signals to the converter. I could test this for you (I have a housing that has a 6 pin bulkhead) but I would need the proper cable. I think I can get hold of a 160 strobe.

Bill

Bill
www.blueviews.net

#9 Shadis

Shadis

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:20 AM

I have a Heinrichs external TTL converter for Canon. If you have a 5 pin Nikonos to Ikelite cable, I am pretty sure (90%) that this converter will work with the 160 strobe. The problem as I stated before is that the housing needs to have a 6 pin bulkhead to get the camera signals to the converter. I could test this for you (I have a housing that has a 6 pin bulkhead) but I would need the proper cable. I think I can get hold of a 160 strobe.

Bill

Tnx alot , that would be great

#10 Seastrider

Seastrider

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

Tnx alot , that would be great

Definitely curious as to the outcome of these tests, as I find myself in a similar situation (Canon 50D/custom Sexton housing for deep monitoring waterwork, Ikelite 50/51 substrobes). I was hoping to modify the housing to accept hotshoe-to-bulkhead connectivity with the Ikelite substrobes; however, Ikelite does not sell eTTL2 circuitry outside of their 50D-specific housings.