• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:20 AM

I've written a book. It's just gone off to the publisher. It's called Amazing Diving Stories.

There are 65 stories, most of which I have witnessed in some way.

I wrote to a few participants too get a few quotes.

The wife of one wrote back saying I couldn't use that particular story because they owned it.

I know about intellectual property but do they really think they can own an incident?

Edited by John Bantin, 26 November 2011 - 01:21 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#2 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

Not much to go on...but who wrote the words? You or the wife?

But you are right. AFAIK IP rights applies to the expression of the thought/idea - the words or image(s) used to express the idea - not the idea itself.

If that makes sense....?

If I wrote the accompanying text, I might be inclined to call their bluff...
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#3 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 26 November 2011 - 02:39 AM

Not much to go on...but who wrote the words? You or the wife?

I did.

But you are right. AFAIK IP rights applies to the expression of the thought/idea - the words or image(s) used to express the idea - not the idea itself.

If that makes sense....?

If I wrote the accompanying text, I might be inclined to call their bluff...

I did! Journalism could not exist if anyone could own an incident (unless it was performance art, I suppose.)

Edited by John Bantin, 26 November 2011 - 02:42 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#4 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:12 AM

I did! Journalism could not exist if anyone could own an incident (unless it was performance art, I suppose.)

Quite. I think I would be inclined to refer to Arkell v Pressdram in my reply...
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#5 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:21 AM

Quite. I think I would be inclined to refer to Arkell v Pressdram in my reply...

Reply?

#6 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:09 AM

Reply?

I was hypothesising - what my reply might be if faced with a similar situation, where someone was trying to apply copyright to something that isn't really intellectual property.
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#7 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:15 AM

I was hypothesising - what my reply might be if faced with a similar situation, where someone was trying to apply copyright to something that isn't really intellectual property.

I saw no merit in replying. They can wait to discover the story is in the book some day - but without any quote from him. Everyone else I contacted was pleased to see their story published.

Edited by John Bantin, 26 November 2011 - 06:15 AM.

#8 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:41 AM

As a post script, I just got a charming letter from Lord Tebbit in the House of Lords, encouraging me to use the story I wrote about him (with quotes)!

Edited by John Bantin, 01 December 2011 - 08:42 AM.